Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: mobo compatiblity  (Read 1496 times)

Offline jon996

mobo compatiblity
« on: March 01, 2004, 18:27 »
hiya, i have an epox 8kta+ mobo and i was wondering which processors are compatible? beacuse i have a pitifull athlon 850 and i want a new processor prefably a duron 1.8ish

any ideas??

thanks! ;)
rive it like you stole it!

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:mobo compatiblity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 18:53 »
>> Jon hi  :)

Have you tried >> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20000919/kt133-14.html

Offline jon996

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 20:10 »
maybe im just dumb but i cant find anything which says which processors are compatible and which arnt!!!

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 17:00 »
Release BIOS supports up to 1.1Ghz:
http://www.epox.nl/manuals/mu-8kta%2B&211.pdf

It appears the latest BIOS does nothing to fix this (at least not in the notes).

Edited to fix url  :)

Offline jon996

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 17:07 »
:o ru sure 1.1ghz is very poor, cos i was hopin to buy a 1800 Duron, i mayers well buy a nu mobo and cpu, but are you definately sure!! :o :curse:

Offline jon996

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 18:14 »
???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 18:25 »
You can check for yourself Jon, but that's what it says in the manual Ket gave the link to.   ;)

There seems little info on this board anywhere else.  I looked at several websites for the spec, and none of them mentioned max CPU.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jon996

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 19:51 »
so it wood be better to jus buy a nu mobo and processor cos there isnt any point upgrading from a 850 to a 1.1!!!

thanks for all ur help

ur all diammmondsss :D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 19:55 »
Don't fanny about with a Duron, slap an XP Athlon 2500+ Barton complete heatsink and fan for £66, onto a brand new AsRock K7S8XE Motherboard for £31 and have a right machine. Run it as is, and it's a great setup, but you can also overclock it to run as an 3200+ by setting the board FSB jumper from 166 to 200. I've just built that setup for a mate [not overclocked] and it fly's.

But you can read what the overclockers have to say about the 2500+ Barton  HERE

And the Mobo HERE
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline jon996

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 20:21 »
cheers tony :thanks: that was the realisation i needed! :) now all i need is the money!!!... :lol:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 22:06 »
Bear in mind though Jon that on top of the price for the new mobo and cpu that Tony recommended, you would need to buy some DDR RAM as that board cant use your existing SDRAM  :(

Offline jon996

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 22:13 »
grrrrr i dont think im going to get that mobo, are pc chips mobos crap cos there v cheap...?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 22:19 »
Serenitys using one with a 1.4 Athlon I think Jon, some of them can use either SDRAM or DDR RAM so it would be an easy memory upgrade at a later date and would spread the cost a little.
Hers seems to be ok when its running but she has a problem on startup apparently which we havent sorted out yet, blue screens on a cold start for some reason.
Maybe she should unplug her heated rollers before starting it up or something  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 23:50 »
Some day you will have to make the transition to a up todate board.

In the financial world it is said that as/if the world economy strengthens, memory prices will rise, right now memory prices are cheap, could be the time to make the transition. 18 months ago I paid £104 for 512kb DDR 333Mhz memory stick, you can get it today for less than £50.  Plus a current board supports 8xAGP cards. Personally, I would rather stick with what I had  got, rather than waste money on another old board. Mind you you could maybe pick an old board cheap on Ebay, that would take a bigger chip plus your old memory ?
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum