Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: No sounds from cd rom  (Read 950 times)

Offline ZIGGY

No sounds from cd rom
« on: February 07, 2004, 21:04 »
Hi,
Hope someone can help me, I am a novice with pc's.
My problem is when I play an audio cd in my cdrom,whereas it used to launch automatically I now launch it via  an icon on desktop, and It does not come throught the speakers anymore I can only listen via the headphone socket.
If I try to access via AOL cd/media player, a window appears and it says,cd not accessable, insert audio cd.
I think I may have created my own problem somehow as I can still play music/from i/net through the speakers with no problem.
Any suggestions?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:No sounds from cd rom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 22:34 »
Hi ZIGGY.  :welcome:

Double click on the volume icon in the system tray and check that the "CD Audio" volume slider is NOT set to off, and that it doesn't have a tick in the mute box.  Failing that, I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will be along to help you later.

Offline ZIGGY

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 01:28 »
Chorleydave, thanks for the feedback but have tried that myself with no success. In fact my mates partner has just left after attempting to find a solution and thats where she went also, but without any success.
I feel its something really simple, but ...

Its late, have had a few , and if I keep trying tonight then I can see this pc going out the window!

Thanks again

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 09:10 »
Hi Ziggy,

Have you been tinkering inside the PC case?  I just wondered if the wire has become disconnected between the CD drive and the sound card?  If not...
I think I may have created my own problem somehow...

Do you have any idea what you might have done, and can you go back and undo it?  I know this is sometimes not that simple as it's easy to lose track of what you have done.

Another idea is to use System Restore (if you have XP or ME) to try to go back to a date before it went wrong.

Other than that, if you could provide some more details, then one of our techies should be able to help you:

1. What is your Operating System? (XP, ME, Win98 etc)

2. Do you have any other Media Players on board, like Winamp, or Windows Media Player?

3. When did the problem occur, and did it coincide with any other changes in your PC, like installing or uninstalling new software?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ZIGGY

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 00:32 »
Simon,
Windows 2000?
I think this may have happened after I was trying to update RealPlayer or when I downloaded a lotto syndicate manager system . But I really cannot be certain as have not been playing cd's on the pc on a regular basis.
Does that help?
Cheers
Ziggy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 00:36 »
It could be that the update for Real Player has taken the audio files over as the default player for them.
If you open Real Player then browse for the CD does it play it ok then ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum