Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HARDDRIVE  (Read 1471 times)

Offline wattycz1

HARDDRIVE
« on: March 04, 2004, 11:44 »

:'(  I HAVE A 10GB DRIVE WHICH HOLDS MY OPERATING SYSTEM I ALSO HAVE A 80GB DRIVE AFTER UPGRADING MY PC MY 80GB DRIVE ONLY SHOWS 31GB CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO FIND THE MISSING 49GB
 I JUST CANNOT FIND IT AND I AM MISSING IT  :'(

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
Re:HARDDRIVE
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 12:03 »
Hi Wattycz1 and  :welcome:

One of our resident "Techies" should be along around lunchtime and may be able to help you, in the meantime, can you let us know what Operating System you are using   :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 12:52 »
As Serenity has said, it would help if you could tell us which OS are you using also what was the upgrade ?
Was it upgrading from 98 or ME tp XP or hardware ?

I am moving this thread to the General Hardware section  :)

Offline wattycz1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 12:52 »
I AM USING WIN XP PRO

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 12:59 »
If you go into Admin Tools/Computer Management/Drive Management, does it show any unallocated space or just the two partitions as 10 and 31 gig ?

Offline wattycz1

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 13:19 »
2 PARTITIONS 10 AND 31

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 14:01 »
Not having enough experience in PC's, just wanted to add an idea without being sure if that'll affect the driver in that way. Did you set the "Jumper" of the 80 GB on "Slave" position?
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 14:21 »
wattycz1 could you give us a little more detailed relpies please.
What was the upgrade, for example if you have flashed the bios it may not be set as auto detect now and that could explain it only being seen as a 31 gig drive, it is best left set at Auto detect.
It is hard enough to try and diagnose the problem when away from a pc so to avoid going through all the possibilities it would be helpful if you could provide as much information as possible  :)

Offline wattycz1

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 14:54 »
I UPGRADED TO AMD DURON 2900 NEW MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR PROBLEM OCCURED ONCE EVERY THING WAS INSTALLED I HAVE FORMATTED DRIVE BUT STILL ONLY SHOWING 31GB I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW 49GB CAN JUST DISSAPEAR  HOPE THIS HELPS !

Offline wattycz1

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 14:55 »
BIOS IS SET AT AUTO FORGOT TO MENSION THIS  :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 15:07 »
Was the 80 gig drive set as one partition or as multiple partitions before?
If it was multiple and you only formatted C that would possibly explain why you only have 31 gig if that was the size of that partition.
Have you got a 98 boot disk ?
If you have you can use that to boot up with and use FDISK to see what the drive set up is and delete any extra partitions.
How did you format the 80 gig drive ?
If you used XP to do it and you did it in FAT 32 it will only format up to 32 gig.
If you reformat as NTFS then that would enable the whole drive to be seen.
If you definately want it as FAT 32 then you would have to use FDISK and format it in that as a FAT 32 drive, unless you split the drive into smaller than 32 gig partitions and formatted each partition using XP  :)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 16:45 »
Well, searching on another forum, I found someone with similar problem. He solved his problem by updating windows "SP1", and getting from the constructor site a file called "enable.exe". So, you may try that while I'll continue browsing to see if I find another suggestion, or you get the solution from one of our techies.
object width="450" height="150">

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum