Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Soon there will only be Lona and Shell  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Soon there will only be Lona and Shell
« on: March 04, 2004, 20:15 »
left running the dreaded ME  ;D

See I tracked one down last night and eradicated it :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: It had managed to sneak into the house next door when the previous occupants moved out after a divorce.   :-\

The new neighbours, were stuck with the virus ridden, freezing, crashing box of junk. You know the type; Massive Plastic Bulbous fronted Packard Bell Pulsar C333, with sod all actually worth having in the box. A no name MOBO with no AGP slot and only two miserly PCI slots, 12MB on board graphics leaving 112MB free, and that was after it had had a memory upgrade, not long since. Put any disk in the CD-Rom, and its lock up time, CD-Rom disappears of the face of "My Computer" folder. And of course once booted, and click on a few icons, connect to the web...say good bye to your free memory. It had missing files and no ME disk, story to that, but don?t ask.

I said  what you need is W2K Pro on that machine. But we could encounter two problems, not enough memory, and an onboard graphics adapter that no W2K drivers are available for. I once had that very  problem with an onboard graphics adaptor on a Compaq PC I bought in 2000. So you could spend £32 on a additional stick of 128MB PC133 memory [good money after bad] considering £25 gets you 256MB PC2700 333Mhz DDR memory, then need a graphics card on top of that.

I said, it really needs putting down out of kindness to both you and the PC. But moving house has been expensive in more ways than one, what with rotten floor joist and the like. So it had to be a revamp with the future in mind.

Anyway its petite little 6GB hard drive is now connected to a nice brand new AsRock K7S8XE MOBO that I just happened to have in stock [That was as a result of it being a replacement that was not needed, after I excelled at plastic welding on another AsRock board] I reused the 1300Mhz Duron CPU from the old board, and it runs at case temp of 30.C and CPU temp of 37/ 38.C degrees on the new setup.

And all it is awaiting is its own 64MB AGP graphics card and its own 256 MB 333 MHz DDR memory. And I?ve also put in a grey coloured 32x12x40 CD-RW that was on my machine, they are OK with that as it is the only drive on the PC, and it keeps the price down.  Dabs sent it the wrong colour and would not replace it, hence I only use Dabs when I?m stuck, sod me. I?m replacing it on my PC with a faster 52x32x52 Samsung drive to match my Samsung DVD drive.

So they will have a decent PC that can be upgraded in the future to take an Anthlon XP 3200+ and shed loads of memory, if they should ever fancy it. I?m doing it for the price of the components, £102?.and I do believe they have a friend who can help em out with an OS other than ME and a few progs to boot.
 :thumb:

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Soon there will only be Lona and Shell
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 20:25 »
Getting in the 'swing' with the new neighbours, Tony?   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 20:32 »

Getting in the 'swing' with the new neighbours, Tony?   ;) ;D ;D

Be careful of strangers Tony, some weird peeps out there  ;)  :D  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 20:46 »
I know I know, tell me about it  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 20:48 »
Yes, try not to keep bothering them Tony.  You know what happens when you keep bothering people!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 21:03 »
Well I know one person who better not come to me for a referance if they make a career change and opt for caring in the community. You find out who your friends are when you need putting up for the odd month or two.
 ;D

Right I've got nothing planned for July and August, and I'm willing to travel. I hear Suffolk is lovely Mid Summer, but I've also heard the odd local can be a tad stand offish    ;D ;) ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 21:12 »
:pmsl:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 01:48 »
I'm glad your not my next door neighbour. You would be in all day tinkering with my pc and criticising my fish pond. I am keeping my Win Me until something better comes along. :wahh:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 02:18 »

I am keeping my Win Me until something better comes along. :wahh:

It has Lona, its called XP  :P

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 12:28 »
Sandra........ME users.... :brick:

Lona, if I where your next door neighbour, you would not have a PC running on ME......trust me.   ;D

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 12:36 »

Right I've got nothing planned for July and August, and I'm willing to travel. I hear Suffolk is lovely Mid Summer, but I've also heard the odd local can be a tad stand offish    ;D ;) ::)

:lol:   :sokay:  Tony  come to Wales instead  :) we are very friendly And have a great sense of humour  ;)  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 12:38 »
I've got the double though ........ ME and Dialup

I Win  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 16:50 »
Your on Sen, the countryside is lovely, the people are lovely, and Clive assures me the Sheep will bend over backwards to accomadate you   ;D

Poor Shell, ME and dial-up   :-\  :'(

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 17:26 »
Only 1 good thing on the M4 Tony  ;D thats the free bit on the bridge on the way out  :D ;) :-*

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 23:58 »

I am keeping my Win Me until something better comes along. :wahh:

It has Lona, its called XP  :P

XP will be old hat by the end of this year, Sandra. I think it's days are numbered.  :P

Tony, if you were my next door neighbour, I would move. ;D ;) ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum