Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Can't turn my PC on. Please help!  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Vovik

• New Registration
Can't turn my PC on. Please help!
« on: March 12, 2004, 05:50 »
I just built my first system and when I plug it in I see a green diode on on the motherboard, but when I start it up the vents start to rotate but just for a split second and then...nothing happens.
I got:
Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
ASUS P4P800 mobo
P4 2.80E 800Mhz proc (Retail)
2 sticks of Kingston 3200 ECC ram
Optorite DVD+-RW
couple of Maxtor HDD

When I was installing it I was surprised that a cable coming from the case (the one with six pins) didn't have a destination in the mobo (and shouldn't have as I found out). The other two (20-pin and 4-pin) were fine. So, I'm confused about that, maybe, I don't even need the other one?!
Anyway, if anyone can help me start it up it would be greatly appriciated.
Thanx.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Can't turn my PC on. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 07:54 »
I assume the cables you refer to from the case, are the power switch, reset button, hard drive indicator, etc.  They should all connect to a small block of pins on the motherboard, but I think I had one with mine I didn't use.  There may also be a cable from the case to the motherboard to connect the front USB ports, if the case has them.

As far as your problem goes, I'm no expert, but the first things I might check is that the CPU, Heatsink and Fan are fitted correctly, and that a) the memory sticks are seated correctly, and b) that you have the correct memory for the motherboard.  It might be worth taking out one memory stick, and see if that makes any difference (you can always add it again later), or change the position of the memory sticks in the slots (i.e., try slots '2' and '3' rather than '0' and '1' depending how many slots you have).  Some motherboards prefer the memory a particular way round, but I believe the usual configurement is to fill from slot '0' first.

Hope that might help, but I expect a proper techie will be able to help you much better.

Oh, and     ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 14:15 »

but when I start it up the vents start to rotate but just for a split second and then...nothing happens.

is it really a "split second" or a matter of seconds ? Then what? meaning if you immediatly try to restart it, what happens?

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 18:36 »
A common problem actually, with all types of solutions.

First of all, make sure that the BIOS (CMOS) has been cleared.

Make sure all jumper settings are correct for your CPU speed etc.

Make sure that your PSU is big enough for your rig (300W minimum these days).

Take out items one by one until it works.

I've found these faulty items can cause the issue:

CD-ROM
HDD
FLOPPY
MEMORY
CPU
MAINBOARD
MEMORY
GFX CARD

and the biggest problems:

PCI modems.

^ yes thats nearly everything!

Strip your system down to:
mainboard
cpu, heatsink, fan
1 memory stick
gfx card.

and see if that works.

Then start removing the gfx and memory. Test the power after removing each one. The fan should still spin without these (if one of these are faulty), but you will get excessive beeps.

GOOD LUCK!  :-\

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 18:37 »

but when I start it up the vents start to rotate but just for a split second and then...nothing happens.

is it really a "split second" or a matter of seconds ? Then what? meaning if you immediatly try to restart it, what happens?

think its a split second, and the machine powers off again. If you try repowering, the fan doesn't move again.

"spin" meaining move around only a few mm's, and not a whole rotation.

At least I think thats what was meant.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 21:51 »
I understood what he had written, I merely wanted him to confirm, that what he had written is actually what was happening ..............I mean look what happened to the Light Brigade   ;D

Offline Vovik

• New Registration
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 01:10 »
Hey guy,

thanks a lot for your replies.
After hours and hours of trying and testing and all of that I actually succeeded!
Well, I haven't really figured out why it didn't power up before but I just took everything apart and put it back together and it worked!
I guess I plugged something in wrongly.....oh well.
But, that cable I was talking about (the one with 6 pins or whatever) I didn't have to plug in anywhere it just there. I guess newer mobos don't require it.

Well, I'm off and running gotta reinstall a bunch of progs.
Thanks again

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 08:57 »
The 6 pins cable is probably for your Front USB  :) and the location is marked below  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 12:24 »
Glad to hear you got it sorted, PC's are just like Leggo. In that if it don't work the first time, take it to bits and build it again.

So you will be kicking ass at warp speed now
   ;D

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 17:58 »
sorry Tony, was only trying to clarify myself  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum