Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My computer keeps freezing in windows  (Read 1123 times)

Offline khali1

My computer keeps freezing in windows
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:34 »
Can someone please help me work out whats wrong with my pc. Every time I start windows it goes to the desktop and then the minute you put a disk in or try to do anything it freezes completely. It is an Athlon 1800+ processor and Mercury motherboard. I have a feeling that it is something to do with the bios but need help to know what to change or try. I would appreciate anyones help. Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:My computer keeps freezing in windows
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 16:21 »
Hi Khali1 and  

Can you give us a bit more info, please?  Can you tell us which Operating System you are using, i.e. XP, ME, Win9x, etc?  

Has this just suddenly started happening?  If so, did you install or uninstall anything immediately prior to the problem starting?

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode, and if so, does the problem still occur?

If you have ME or XP, and the problem is fairly recent, have you tried using System Restore, to go back to a date before the problem started?  Assuming, that is, you can get that far without it freezing.

Hopefully one of our techies will be able to help you soon.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline khali1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 16:28 »
Hi Simon, Thanks for getting back to me. The operating system is Windows XP and it was fine until a digital camera software disc was loaded on and now it constantly freezes. I have reinstalled the whole operating system and formatted the harddrive but it is still freezing. I also swapped out the memory just in case it was a memory issue but still no luck. Any ideas what i can try now??

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 16:39 »
So just to get it straight, you installed the camera software, then the freezing started, yes?  Did you try just uninstalling the camera software, before you formatted, in case it was that?  And I assume you haven't re-intalled the camera software?  Just clutching at straws, but it could also be something to do with your graphics card - have you checked to make sure it's seated properly?

I haven't really got any other ideas.  As I said, it might be best to hang on for a proper techie to have a look at this later.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 16:50 »
If you have installed the software again, uninstall it of course, and if all is ok again then thats definately your issue.

When installing that kind of software, install if BEFORE connecting the camera to your PC. If you connect the camera first, Windows installs its own nasty drivers.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 19:23 »
I installed the software which came with my Kodak digital camera, but uninstalled it again, as it didn't seem to have any advantage over using Windows Picture Viewer and Paint Shop Pro.  The camera works well enough using Windows drivers, and the Kodak software just seemed to want to take over my PC.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 19:33 »
^^ true true, sometimes thats works best... Windows is a funnly little package aint it.

Offline khali1

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 22:18 »
Hi, I wiped the harddrive completely and didnt load on the camera disk again. Do you think it might be the bios settings? If so what should i check on the bios??

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 23:55 »
Possibly the CPU speed set too high.
Just try loading the bios defaults and see how it goes with that  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum