Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Transfering Hard drives - HELP  (Read 848 times)

Offline dnf999

Transfering Hard drives - HELP
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:32 »
1- I am purchasing a new pc and would like to install my old 20 Gb hard drive into it.  My question is..is it as simple as just installing a new hard drive, as my old one is partitioned 3 times and contains over 10Gb of data and I am not sure whether it will be recognised.  

2-Ideally i would like to transfer the data to the new hard drive and use my old as a spare. Therefore I may borrow a harddrive USB case and transfer the data through the USB connection.  Is this possible even though the hard drive is partitioned?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:Transfering Hard drives - HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 11:34 »
Hi and :welcome:

I think it is possible - I have done this with a hard drive before that was partitioned into 2.

But a 'techie' will be around later to give a definite yes or no.  Maybe you can tell us the make and/or model of the drives - that may be helpful.

DJ

Offline dnf999

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 13:42 »
Its a 20Gb 5400rpm Maxtor Quantum Fireball 541DX

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 14:03 »
OK thanks for the info.

I'm sure a techie will be around later. We seem to be having a few problems with the host today (which is very rare) so it may take a little longer to get a reply to your post.

Please stick with it - you will get a reply  ;)

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 16:33 »
Hi dnf999
There shouldnt be a problem using an external usb drive, regardless of the number of partitions on it.
The quickest and easiest way though would be to just add the 20 gig drive as a slave drive to the new pcs drive, just set the jumpers as slave and connect to the IDE cable and the power leads, its not even necessary to physically attach the drive to the case if its only to be a temporary measure.
Then copy everything across from the old drive to the new one  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 17:51 »
Or buy a usb to cable breakout box or usb to ide cable from maplins.  it will work with usb1 as well as long as you're patient  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum