Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: start up problems  (Read 1240 times)

Offline balrog

start up problems
« on: March 22, 2004, 17:23 »
:'( :'(never used a forum b4.probably get it it all wrong diddly wrong wrong.i`ve got a problem with my kids pc.when u start it up it reaches the users screen and thats it.it seems to be processing something but nothing actually happens.run out of ideas .......HELP......please.....somebody......anybody

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:start up problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 17:27 »
Hi Balrog, and    Don't worry, we were all forum virgins once...  ;) ;D ;D

I'm sure a techie will be along soon to help you.   :)

A couple of things - which operating system is it, and have you tried to start it in safe mode?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 17:28 »
Hi balrog and :welcome:

Can you give us some information on the PC itself and its operating system ?
Has this happened after you have installed soem new programs or hardware or just started all by itself ?
Can you get it into Safe Mode ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 17:32 »
Beat ya San!  :wahh:   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline balrog

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 17:34 »
god! u threw me.wasnt expecting a reply so kwik.its running xp and wots safe mode?yes i am that ignorant!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 17:46 »
Hit F8 continuously while it's starting, and you should get into what's called Safe Mode, where only the basic requirements for Windows to run are loaded.  It won't be a very good picture and your desktop will be a mess, but don't worry about that for now.

What I think Sandra and myself are thinking is that maybe something which loads at start up is 'hanging', and stopping Windows from starting.  If it starts in Safe Mode, this almost proves that theory, and then we have to establish what's causing the trouble, which is why Sandra asked if you have recently installed any new software or hardware.

Sandra may well, of course, be thinking something entirely different!   ;D ;D

Offline balrog

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 18:01 »
just tried it in safe mode and it works fine.the last thing to be installed that i know of was my wireless router which i re-installed but everything worked fine for a couple of days.this all started playing up last night.should i try a system restore?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 18:08 »
Might be worth a try.  Let us know how it goes.  :)

Offline balrog

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 18:33 »
:) :D ;DIt only worked!!!!I`ve no idea what that was all about but doing the system restore seemed to do the trick!
I thought about doing it but could`nt start it up to get into it.I`ve never heard of the safe mode let alone known how to get into it.Every days a school-day!!!Thanks very much for your help.I`ll be sticking this site in my faves and recommending it to other numbskulls(i know quite a few).
thanks guys!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 18:37 »
Excellent!  I got one right!!  :horror:   ;D ;D

That's got to be at least 5, Hook!   ;)  (Sorry, in joke!)

Don't be a stranger, Balrog.   8)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 18:41 »
Glad you got it sorted balrog   :)

Sorry we took so long  :(

Safe mode is a handy thing to try to see if it will boot up in as it only loads the minimum drivers necessary to boot into basic windows and if it works in there then there is a problem when loading other drivers/software that occur as it boots into normal windows  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum