Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC Freezes when reading Disc  (Read 1066 times)

Offline skairdykat

• New Registration
PC Freezes when reading Disc
« on: March 27, 2004, 07:58 »
Hi,

My computer randomly freezes when I insert a cd or dvd disc that has the auto play option.  Its fustrating when I'm installing a 5 disc game and it keeps freezing.  Here is my setup.

Motherboard: PCchip M952
CPU: Intel P4 2.8ghz HT
RAM: 1GB DDR PC2700
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
HDD: Hitachi 200gb
PSU: 400W ATX

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:PC Freezes when reading Disc
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 08:16 »
Hi skairdykat, and  

As you may know, random freezes can be difficult to resolve, but have you tried disabling the Auto Play option?  You can do this by going to My Computer, then right click the relevent drive, select Properties, then the Auto Play tab (see below).  Choose the format you don't want to Auto Play from the drop down menu, then  click the radio button to tell it to ask each time.

Hope that helps.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 13:07 »
I'm not a fan of pc-chips mainboards, but I believe the newer boards are getting better.

This sounds like it could be a bottleneck issue (it will probably unfreeze given long enough).

Get the latest drivers for your chipset (I think its VIA on that model). The hyperion (4in1 VIA drivers) are located here :http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 18:44 »
i know this may be obvious but have you checked to make sure the disks your putting into this computer is clean and undamaged. If theirs a scratch on the image on the front your computer is garanteed to have reading problems, and even freeze for a good while. If theres dust and scratches on the reading surface it will do the same thing.

DVDs are real anal about scratches. If theres a fat scratch across the dvd your computers sure to give you trouble when reading.

Offline skairdykat

• New Registration
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 19:47 »

I'm not a fan of pc-chips mainboards, but I believe the newer boards are getting better.

This sounds like it could be a bottleneck issue (it will probably unfreeze given long enough).

Get the latest drivers for your chipset (I think its VIA on that model). The hyperion (4in1 VIA drivers) are located here :http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

I downloaded the driver.....and it still didn't work.....so I decided to uninstall some of the programs that dealt with the CD drive....and now it works.....it seems that the Nero INCD program was causing it to freeze up.  Thanks too all that helped me out with the Quick response!!! :D ;D I can now play Unreal Tournament 2004

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 20:00 »
Glad you got it sorted.   :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum