Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: which antivirus & firewall's best  (Read 686 times)

Offline geordie77

which antivirus & firewall's best
« on: March 27, 2004, 17:35 »
I have been having a few problems with my computer with viruses etc.  I run windows xp home edition and use the included firewall and also use AVG virus checker.  What firewall and virus checker should I use.

Thanks
Andy

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:which antivirus & firewall's best
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 17:50 »
AVG is very popular on this forum and many claim it to be the best.  However, the firewall supplied with Windows is not as good as Zone Alarm.  If you decide to download it (Zone Alarm)make certain that you get the free version!  Check to see what is attempting to access your computer and block anything which looks suspicious.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 18:06 »
Ive tried them all, and I think for home users you cant beat Norton Anti Virus and Norton firewall. If you dont like Norton, try Panda. Zone Alarm is also good.

:gofor:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 19:28 »
I now use Norton AV and Firewall, but I have tried some of the free firewalls, and I preferred Sygate to Zone Alarm.  You can find them both on our links page here.

The firewall built in to XP only monitors incoming traffic.  To protect effectively, you need one which looks both ways, which the free ones mentioned do.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum