Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Connecting router to NTL  (Read 1902 times)

Offline grt

Connecting router to NTL
« on: April 08, 2004, 12:09 »
I have a wireless router which I am using to try and set up a wireless network at home . I have followed all the instruction in the manuals and in every book I can find on the subject . I cannot set the router to connect to NTL broadband without reconfiguring all the settings every time . NTL are not interested (we don't support networks). Any ideas.

GRT

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Connecting router to NTL
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 12:54 »
Hi GRT and :welcome:
Can you tell us which equipment you are using please ?
When you re configure it, is it ok for the rest of that session, so its just not retaining the settings when you switch off  ???

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 04:39 »
Sandras right, it would be easier if we could have a name of the equipment your using.

you say you half to reconfigure everytime you do what? go online? Turn on the Computer?

The router should stay on permently, once you configure it there should be nothing to reset it. If you unplug it or reset it that would be a reason why you would half to reconfig each time you get on.

They'll be a section called internet connection. The PPPoE setting is what you should be fooling with if your setting it up for cable internet. Put in your login name and pass and there should be a apply button somewhere. Once its applies they're shouldn't be anything to reset it unless you cut the power, and even then most types of routers require you to hold a reset button to reset it to manufacturer's default

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 23:37 »
ooooh I get a shiver down my spine when I see that

NTL

>:( >:( :o  :-X
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 23:45 »
Long time no see, my little walnut whip!  You have to admit that NTL are very cheap though.  And, ermmm...  just gimme a shout if there's anything I can do for your shivers.  ;)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 00:04 »
hiya my big cream egg

Yes Ntl are cheap if you are getting what you pay for but most people are not, and then they are getting shafted (lucky them... no shhh)

NTL are truly the worse company I have even had the mispleasure to do business with. Well over the last year anyway, and some of that comes from sending there customer relations dept and tech dept to india and charging £1 a min for you to talk to someone who doesn't actually understand you and tells you so.

Rant over ........  :D

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 00:08 »
Sure, but apart from that?  

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 00:12 »
:lol:

Apart from that theres the not being able to connect due to "busy times" when you pay for 24/7 connection - and getting charged for calls from 4 months back on your bill for the month.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 00:14 »
C'mon, nobody's perfect!   ::)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 00:21 »
am i missing something british here?  :(

how is this "NTL" any different from any other cable broadband connection?

i mean a connections a connection, its 24/7 service that you just hook up. The router just takes the ip given by the isp and assigns the other machines in the network dynamic ip addresses.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 01:07 »
I think that the BB side is ok Bob, unfortunately they are also just about the only alternative telecommunications provider in the UK to the virtual monopoly held by BT (British Telecoms).
The restrictive practises of both these organisations due to a lack of competition and no doubt many backhanders around government circles often in the form of "donations" to political parties, if not to the individuals themselves, then we are caught by the short and curlies  :(
We have to pay higher charges for lesser services and speeds than almost anywhere in the world with a large percentage of the population unable to even get BB from either provider.
I live less than 100 yards from houses connected to a cable system and I am unable to get cable here so I dont even have the choice of who I go with for my residential phone line, its BT only for me or no line at all and have to just use my mobile  :o
Fortunately as we are British we are born with "stiff upper lips" and are used to being ripped off by all and sundry but for some reason we still put up with it year after year after year  ::)
Do you know that the average cost of 2 star is around 80p per litre over here Bob, thats probably around the same as you pay per gallon  :o
Most consumer goods cost in £s to us what they would cost you in $s
There was even a court case by Levi jeans againg Tesco last year as they wanted to buy jeans from retail outlets in the USA, Europe and worldwide, and sell them cheaper in their own stores in the UK than they could buy from the official Levi supplier.
Guess what happened ?
The judge ruled that Tesco couldnt buy from where they wanted, regardless of whether they had to pay import duty or not, and sell at a cheaper price to us in the UK   ::)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 05:14 »
i know of people in the states that use their cell phone for their internet connection getting right under dsl speeds. Had a friend who traveled around in a motorhome with a 3 pc network inside. Said it cost him about a 100 bucks a mo. It would be an option and a way to stick it to the monopolies.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 16:11 »

C'mon, nobody's perfect!   ::)

What!! sandra is!! She told me  ;)

Yeah Just to confirm ... I was talking about A dial up connection that I had with NTL where you pay them for your telephone calls whilst still having BT to pay the line rental to.

Offline grt

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 16:39 »
Sorry for not replying earlier - been having a little battle with "bridge.exe" .
I have a Belkin wireless cable/DSL gateway router.
I have been setting it up to get  a variable IP address each time I log on and each time it gets a router IP address and NTL won't play if they can see that you are connecting through a router . I even went back to just the one computer and customer services insisted that I still had a router connected and wouldn't help me .

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 17:37 »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum