Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD Burner  (Read 1051 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
DVD Burner
« on: April 09, 2004, 14:49 »
i've finally decided to take the plunge and get a dvd burner to compliment my new panny E55 dvd recorder (which is fab for the money it cost).

first can anyone recommend a decent -R burner preferably that can do RAM as well.

second are there any pitfalls i may encounter.  i'm going to replace the DVD drive (after previous advice).  the current dvd drive works via an oem copy of powerdvd which i really like.
i also have a cd burner with an oem of nero which has had several upgrades. Both drives will be on same ide channel but i've had no problems to date.

thirdly and finally will the software with the new burner be able to burn dvd's from video files that i have taken from previously burned dvd's (from the E55).  my intention is to rip the vob files which correspond to individual music tracks (video) on the dvd. i want to have a collection of these on the hard drive and make new music dvd compilations ie mix and match stuff.  i've been doing it for ages with vcd files and i'm hoping it will be possible to do with dvd as well.  All advice welcome

cheers guys and gals   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:DVD Burner
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 15:29 »
As far as I know Dave your OEM PowerDvd should still work as I dont think that they are "tied" to the make of drive that they are supplied with whereas your Nero possibly is.
I would have thought that any files that you have burned onto DVD via your Panasonic would be able to just be copied onto the hard drive without needing any ripping software as it wouldnt be copyrigh protected,unless it was burned as Mpeg 1 or 2 and not VOB files already, if not you could always get this free program which would do it for you :

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/default.asp

I cant think of any DVD writers to recommend at the moment, you will have to wait for someone else to let you know which they have and are happy with or check out the reviews from various sites  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 16:40 »

I cant think of any DVD writers to recommend at the moment, you will have to wait for someone else to let you know which they have and are happy with or check out the reviews from various sites  :)

thanks sandra.  i always research products and annoy the sales people by knowing more than them when i'm parting with hard earned cash.  ;)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 18:45 »
Best drive for you would probably be the LG one from Ebuyer
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=60872

Supports ALL formats (+,-,RAM)

Your E55 records in VRO format if on RAM and the latest DVD authoring software allows you to copy the data from them to your hard drive for further editing.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 14:06 »
thanks everyone.  looks like the pioneer 107 or the LG then.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum