Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: can i run 2 pcs off one modem  (Read 705 times)

Offline mfavcd

can i run 2 pcs off one modem
« on: May 04, 2004, 19:23 »
is there anyway i can run my 2 pc's off my one (ntl) modem, eg, one with usb and one with e-net,
Please, I Need Help
Thanking You
Dan

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:can i run 2 pcs off one modem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 03:06 »
I am not sure if you could use the USB to one pc and the ethernet to the other so you could use either independantly or not, but it could work maybe.
There wouldnt be any harm in trying it  :)

The normal way would be to connect via the USB connection to your main pc, unless it has 2 ethernet ports then use the ethernet connection, then use a crossed ethernet cable to connect both pcs and set up a network using the main pc as the gateway.
You could then have both pcs on the net at the same time and transfer files and share printers etc.
You would have to have the main pc switched on to be able to use your second one but could connect to the net from the second one without having to connect on the main one first, as long as the main one was already switched on  :)

Offline ketamininja

Re:can i run 2 pcs off one modem
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 13:12 »
You could do it two ways:

computer2<------------>computer1<------>modem
Computer1 has to be on whenever computer2 wants to connect to net.

-or-

modem<--------->router<--------->pc1 and also <-------->pc2
so the 2 pc's plug into the router, either can use the net without the other being switched on.

but apart from that, you cannot use both USB and NIC on the modem - only one is used at any time.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum