Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB 2.0 pci card help  (Read 912 times)

Offline Lindsay

USB 2.0 pci card help
« on: May 08, 2004, 14:46 »
Hi..I just bought one, but I can't seem to get it to work. To be honest, I wasn't really sure what I was doing, but I took off the side panel and the little strip of metal and slotted it into the wee...hump things...(you can see I dont know all that much about computers)
I didn't get any instructions with it except this little slip of paper which isn't very helpful.
Anyway, I went to device manager to see if anything had changed but it hadn't. Then I went to add or remove programs and noticed "OrangeWare USB2.0 driver". I don't actually know what a driver is but anyway. I decided to see if it would work, so I plugged in the scanner to it and nothing happened. So I connected my camera to it and the little grenn light on the camera started flashing like it does when I usually connect it to the computer, so that was OK I thought. However, usually when I go to My Computer, I can see the camera, but it wasn't there and I couldn't find it anywhere.
So how do I make it work? Did I install it? I only bought it to use with my iPod which I haven't bought get.
I just don't understand! I can't seem to find any help either  :-\

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:USB 2.0 pci card help
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 14:50 »
Hi Lindsay and :welcome:
Which OS are you using and did the card come with a cd to install it with ?
Your PC should have detected new hardware and either installed it by itself or asked you for the cd or drivers for it.
Did you not get any message on screen at all  ???

Offline lindsay1

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 15:29 »
Thank you!  :) I had to make a new account coz I cant seem to get mine to work..Anyway..
I'm using windows XP. There was a cd that came with it, and I used it to install the driver (i think, if that makes sense!)
Then it prompted me to restart the computer and I did, but when I logged on again nothing had changed and I never got any message on screen at all  :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 17:38 »
It should list it in the Device Manager if its installed but it sounds as if you have installed the driver from the cd without the card being detected properly.
I would be tempted to remove the card and then restart and shut down your pc and refit the card, possibly in a different slot if you have anymore available.
The white slots are called PCI slots and the brown one is the AGP slot for the graphics card.
Its generally better not to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot if you have the option.
Make sure that the card looks as if it is seated fully in and not cocked up at one end.
Then when you restart your pc it should have an icon on the right hand side of the taskbar and a bubble above it saying new hardware detected.
This can stay for a few minutes and then change to installing new hardware or it may bring the new hardware wizard up and ask you to put the cd in.
As you have already installed the drivers it may just say its installed and is ready to use hopefully  :)

Offline Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 20:11 »
Yay :D It's working now, I uninstalled the thing on the cd and did what you suggested. I think the card was just inserted wrong! I pushed it really hard and it clicked in a bit more. Thank you very much for your help! I'll stick around, this place is nice  :)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 20:17 »
Then as long you don't catch what we've got, you should still be ok to function properly at work on Monday, Lindsay.   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 00:09 »
Glad that it worked Lindsay  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum