Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC Wont Start Up  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://plainfolkauctions.com
PC Wont Start Up
« on: May 17, 2004, 00:00 »
Hi guys!  I have a computer running ME that wont completely boot up. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or if it was just coincidence but I had to disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to move it and then when I got it all back together and went to start it up, it just won't boot up completely.  It starts to boot and then quits.  I can't even get into safe mode with the F8.  It starts to read the D drive and then quits so I can't even try a start up disk in the A drive. I'm thinking maybe the power supply??? Or hard drive failure???  Nothing I do helps.  Any ideas?
amp;quot;Be wise in the use of time. The question in life is not how much time do we have? The question is what shall we do with it.
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:PC Wont Start Up
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 00:10 »
Have you checked that the keyboard and mouse are plugged in the correct sockets and firmly in place Stormy, I did one a few weeks back by feeling around the back and had them in the wrong sockets   :-[
That would prevent your F8 key working and possibly if your bios is set to halt on all errors may stop it booting  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 00:12 »
1. when the pc first starts up press the del and go into the bios. Make sure the hard drive is being detected.

2. Did u turn the machine off properly when you shut it down to move it (go to shutdown and then turn it off)? If so your probably safe from a hard drive failure.

3. Is D: your cdrom? do u have a cd in the cd rom? the pc could be trying to boot from the cdrom. Make sure theres no floppy disk or cds in the pc when you start up.

4. Could you have the ps2 connects for your mouse and keyboard plugged in wrong. This could make your computer start up very slow and might now allow you to go into windows. (double check the cords and cables)

Offline Stormy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 00:13 »
No that's not it, I put them back exactly where they were when I unplugged them.  I just tried it again and still nothing.  :(
amp;quot;Be wise in the use of time. The question in life is not how much time do we have? The question is what shall we do with it.
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 00:18 »
I try Bob  ;)
Good thinking on the cd being left in by the way  :)

How long was the pc disconnected before you reconnected it and switched on Stormy ?
Is it quite an old pc ?
If so and it was disconnected from the mains for a few hours it may have a knackered battery and could have lost its cmos.
If you can hit DEL as its booting and load bios defaults then it should restart, if its the battery  ???

Offline Stormy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 00:18 »
Hi Bob!

1. That doesnt do anything at all.

2. I did shut it down properly.

3. D is the cd rom, there is nothing in the cd rom or the A drive.

4. The connects for the mouse and keyboard are correct.

When I try to boot the monitor doesn't even get a chance to come on.  The green light will come on but then goes in to "saver" mode amber light like it does when I shut down the pooter.
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Stormy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 00:25 »
It was only a few minutes Sandra, less than five before I reconnected it.  It is an older model, not even sure whats in it.  When I got it, it had Win98se in it and I upgraded it to ME.  But it was running fine for about a year until just now.

-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 00:31 »
Can you get into the BIOS ?
It could still lose it in a few minutes but does sound unlikey, but loading bios defaults would prove or disprove it.
You didnt knock it during moving it so it could have dislodged something inside ?
Are there any noises other than the single post beep or does it not get that far even ?

Offline Stormy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 00:35 »
Are there any noises other than the single post beep or does it not get that far even ?

I can't into the bios at all not even using the F8 key and no beep or anything.  It just starts to boot reads the d drive and then quits.  :(
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 00:39 »
Its usually the DEL key for the bios.
Did it used to beep before you moved it ?
If it did it sounds like either the memory has somehow manged to come loose or the graphics card has.
Are you ok opening the case and checking inside for loose bits ?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 00:48 »
Have you tried removing the battery and putting it back in Stormy? I've heard of that working before.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Stormy

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 00:48 »
I tried the delete key too but nada... Yes it did do the beep before this...  I'll try opening it in a bit after dinner.  Then I'll let you know if I find anything.
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 00:51 »
If it had the post beep before then I am 99% certain something has become dislodged.
Bon appetit  :)

Offline Stormy

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 01:31 »
I can't figure out how the heck to open it.  Sheesh I'm not having a good day...  ???
-Anna Robertson Brown-".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 01:44 »
Usually just cross headed screws at the back, anywhere between 4 and 8 in total.
Sometimes its a one piece case, sometimes you can just take a side panel off.
If its a side panel one just take the left side off when viewed from the front.
Sometines once you have removed the screws the cover or sides can be quite hard to get off, they slide towards the back about an inch before they clear the spring clips that some cases have and can be quite tight.
Usually a sharp tap with the palm of your hand on the side you wish to remove, forcing it backwards works  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum