Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Display Trouble  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Display Trouble
« on: July 03, 2004, 20:21 »
I'm having problems with my laptop and the display properties on it. It was working fine until a couple days ago when I booted up, and the display was set at a desktop size of 640x480 and 16 colours. I didn't think it would be a problem, until I realized that I can't change my display properties! I can select the display type, but after it restarts it goes back to the default display.
There is a message that pops up when the computer starts:

I don't know what program it is referring to, and I don't remember installing anything on there beforehand.

That's about it, ANY help would be appreciated....it's really anoying...Thanks!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Display Trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 20:24 »
Hi Hiatus, and  

My first thought is, can you use System Restore to go back a couple of days, to when it was OK?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 20:30 »
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, system restore was almost one of the first things I thought about doing. I tried that, but I kept getting error messages saying that "System Restore couldn't restore the system..." lol, that sounds kinda funny, well, it said SOMETHING like that...

Anyways, system restore didn't work...or at least not yet. Maybe I can try going back a bit furthur, like a week or something...In the meantime, any more suggestions...?

Thanks!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 20:35 »
Have you checked your start up programs list to see if there are any clues?  Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 20:53 »
Nice, can't argue with progress!

I un-clicked a bunch of things, mostly programs that I didn't think were important.
And, well, my computer still starts (lol) and the "This program..." error message is gone. But, I still can't change my display. It starts at the basic level (16 colours, 640x480)

Your tips have been very helpful. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 20:59 »
Have a look in Device Manager and see if theres a yellow ! or ?
It sounds like its lost its driver and needs reinstalling  :)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 21:11 »
Device Manager says that my display adapter (NeoMagic MagicMedia256ZX) is working properly, and the drivers are fine. I looked at this awhile ago, and nothing has really changed...unless I'm missing something...?

Thanks for the input!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 21:15 »
It would still be worth seeing if you could reinstall the driver or updating it.
Have you got a driver cd or did your OS install it ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 21:16 »
How about individually re-ticking each of the start up programs you have unticked, until you find the one that's causing the trouble, then completely uninstall it in Control Panel > Add / Remove if you can.  If not, it may well be some sort of spyware program, or at worst, a virus.  Try running Ad Aware and Spybot to see what they find.  Links below if you haven't got them.  Don't forget to update them before running.

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 21:30 »
Whoa! So many replies, lol...well, two at least...

I think Windows ME automatically installs hardware and drivers, doesn't it?
Anyways, I barely have anything for my computer, not even the Windows ME OS disk. My mom got the laptop for me off of e-bay, so I didn't get much. It came with floppy disks for programs, and I don't even have a floppy drive! I might be able to update the drivers. I don't know though. Can I just d/l them, put them on my USB flash disk, then transfer them to my laptop...?

Yes, Simon, I was thinking of doing that to see which program was causing the error. I have Ad-Aware, which I run frequently. I haven't been able to update it lately because I can only access the internet (on my laptop) at my dad's house. I will be updating it soon. I also have McAfee Virus Scan which isn't picking up any viruses. But, I have to update that as well.

Maybe I can get back to you next week, unless I somehow fix it before then. Unless you have any more suggestions, I'll talk to you in a week or so.

Thanks again!

l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 21:42 »
You could try this driver from here :

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=55370

Model
   NeoMagic, Magic Media 256AV
Manufacturer
   NeoMagic
Device Type
   Video Adapters
Operating Systems
   WinME
File Name
   NM_256av.exe
File Size
   450.0 kb
  1 minute 4 seconds @56kbps
  4 seconds @broadband
Uploader Notes
   This exe opens to reveal a text, and an auto install exe. It is rated for Win9X and is dated Sept 5, 2000. Version is 2.15.00T according to the text, but on the file it is 2.02.001. It is designed for laptop, and includes a property page for Display Properties with setting controls for LCD and external CRT and dual, with refresh rate, and "Projector" tab.

If you have to register before download use drivers for username and all for password  :)  

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 00:58 »
Yay! I finally figured it out!  :D :D :D

I don't know exactly what I did, but I converted the display adaptor back to the default driver, then updated it back to normal. I think that d/l helped, so thank-you Sandra!  :)

I now also have extra settings in my display properties, I can change the screen size to 1280x768 if I wanted, but my default is 1024x768.

Thanks again for everything, and once again, Sandra, I guess you were right (if you're never wrong...lol)
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 01:01 »
Glad you got it sorted  :)
Most problems like that are down to driver issues but it was strange that it showed as ok in the Device Manager.
Maybe it was happy enough to use that particular driver but it didnt allow it to work at its best  :)

Adept

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 18:10 »
Seeing as we are talking apout a laptop, maybe the driver was detecting the wrong display type, possibly a TV-out or CRT rather than the LCD display ???

Glad you sorted it anyway Hiatus. Our Sandra's a gem isn't she? :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum