Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ethernet  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Ethernet
« on: May 22, 2004, 10:13 »
Hi, im looking to feed off my brothers 1mb BB (internet). I just ordered a cat5 ethernet cable. I never set a network up before, is the cable all i need? and will i need to change any protocols? As im new to this, any advice will be appreciated. Cheers, Scott.

O.S - XP
NW Adaptor - 10/100BT

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 10:30 »
Hiya Scotty,

Could you provide us with some details about your hardware and operating system, etc?  Do you have a router/modem with more than one port?  Is it DSL or Cable BB?  Once we know what kit you've got we'll have a better idea of what your next step should be.   :)

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 10:40 »
O.S = XP
My bros Internet connection = ADSL 1mb
Network adaptor = 10/100BT
I have a 56k modem
My bro has an AOL/BT adsl modem
I dont know about a router, dont know what it is  ???

System: intel celeron 1.8, 516mb DDR ram, 40gb HDD

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 10:45 »
What i was hoping to do was, just plug the ethernet cable into both our ethernet ports, then let xp detect it.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 10:58 »
A router is basically a box that allows you to attach more than one computer to your web connection, Scotty.  Are you using a DSL modem that has two to four sockets for patch cables on the back?

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 11:01 »
No, the adsl modem has 2 port, one to the wall, the other to USB

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 11:06 »
Would it not work by just connecting out ethernet cards with one cable?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 11:12 »
Then you'll need a router to provide an extra connection for the other box.  They're about 45 quid (ball park).  Another approach involves buying a modem which has the extra sockets needed.  Either way, it looks like you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket.   :(

My preference is for a combined modem/router which also has a firewall for keeping unwanted visitors out of your machine while you're online (essential!).

I'll look around for some potential candidates for you if you like and then post some links here.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 11:20 »
Bingo!  Here's a basic 4-port router with integral firewall.  Click me.  It doesn't contain the modem bit, which you already have, so is relatively cheap.  It sits between your modem and the two networked computers.  Check it out!   ;)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 11:30 »
A cheaper/less flexible option is using a second network card in your brothers machine and then linking into that from your machine. You then run the network setup wizard on bboth machines and it would set up Internet connection sharing on his.

If the ADSL modem had a USB connection as well, then it would be possible to do it at no extra cost if you connected the modem to one of his USB ports too.

HOWEVER....

This would mean his machine would have to be on whenever you wanted to access the internet.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 11:34 »
Thanks for the help  :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2004, 11:35 »

Would it not work by just connecting out ethernet cards with one cable?

Yes - See my previous post. Its what I used to do for networking before I got the wireless router. You may need a crossover cable though (unless the ethernet cards have the clever multi-detect bits in them).

:)

Just remember to run the netwok configuration wizard on both machines and disable any firewall he/you are running before doing that (otherwise all sorts of wierd things happen).

Then remember to install/re-activate the firewalls after you get it working.

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2004, 11:44 »
Hey thats an idea, only reason i wanted to feed off my bros, was because we only had one phoneline, and cable isnt available. So if i upgrade to 512k, i can be 512k when my bros not using the internet, and 500 when he is. As he the same, 1mb when im off, 500k when im on.
So by linking ethernet cards, will this work that way?

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2004, 12:28 »
Sort of :)

You'll have 1Meg bandwidth available between you all the time - so if he isn't using it then you would be able to  ;D

The only thing that may be a problem is the impact you have on his computers performance - as it would be doing the USB to Ethernet conversion/networking if you were accessing while he was doing something else e.g. playing a game.

Now reread you post - are you saying you have two different broadband internet accounts? Yours at < 512k and his at 1M? Might be worth combining accounts and getting a faster one which you both then share - most allow several email addresses.

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2004, 12:41 »
At the moment im 56k, but want to upgrade. This cant be done unless one of us is off the net at one time. The reason we want to be able to use BB at the same time is because we play online games against eachother, hes p**sed off @ my lag, as am I. We only have one phoneline, cable isnt available in my area, so networking seems to be the best solution. Plus ive been wanting BB for AGES!!. Thats one of the main reasons, gaming, but if its gonna affect my bros game it might be worth looking into router/dsl.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum