Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HP Pavilion - Disk 1/0 error  (Read 4871 times)

Offline esley

HP Pavilion - Disk 1/0 error
« on: January 09, 2003, 06:51 »
This thing will not boot. On startup, I get one beep, a black screen with message "disk 1/0 error" replace disk & then press any key. I have formatted the drive, and installed recovery disks 1&2. On reboot same deal 1 beep, and then the disk error. Any help thanks Esley ???

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
Re:HP Pavilion - Disk 1/0 error
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 07:28 »
Hi esley, welcome to the forum, hope you get your problem sorted and enjoy it here, please join in

Quick thought is ... have you entered teh BIOS and checked that the BIOS can see the HD? I presume it can as you've said that you formatted the HD and run the recovery discs

I'll have a little think and see if I can come up with something for you  :)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline esley

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 08:01 »
Thanks for the reply,Bat69. Any help would be great!! esley

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 02:42 »
Am I correct in assumng that you are on ME as you say you have 2 restore discs?
As you have already formatted it you may as well go the whole hog and run Fdisk to make sure its partitioned correctly and reinstall after that and another format  :)

Offline esley

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 03:42 »
Sandra, thank you for your response. To fdisk this thing, do I need to make a boot or start-up disk? I'm used to 98, a install disk, and a boot disk. Can I use 98 boot to fdisk ? I'm lost on that part.  Thanks for your help. esley

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 04:14 »
Before trying Fdisk,try this.
Still not sure whether you are on 98 or ME,anyway use the 98 boot disc and if you are certain that you have formatted it properly choose start computer without cd rom suport.At the A prompt type   SYS C: then hit enter it should say System Transferred.
Remove floppy then reboot to check it boots to C drive.
If it does that ok then it has got the system files and you can reboot with the floppy in and choose start computer with cd rom support.At the A prompt type D: and have your 98 cd in the cd rom and then at the D prompt type SETUP.
Windows should then install.
If that still doesnt work then it looks like theres another problem.Get back to us and let us know.Tell us if its 98 or ME too please  :-*

If you want to check your drive information and possibly delete and create any partitions then a guide to Fdisk with some good screen displays can be found here :

http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

I have just looked at that site and it may be a bit confusing  ::)
I would suggest choosing Y for enable large disc support (FAT 32) then follow instructions fron page 3 (page 2 refers to NTFS).
Basically delete any partitions and if you just want one main drive then choose option one to create a new partition.Reboot and format C again then follow earlier instructions.

This may clarify my last edit a bit more:

http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/fdisk/fdisk_run.html

Offline esley

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 04:00 »
Sandra, let me clear some stuff up,maybe help you help me. This HP Pavilion belongs to a friend. When I got it had no software with it. So, I had a 98 bootdisk I used to see if it could read it. It did so I formatted the hd, format c;/s. The next morning I got the recovery disks, & installed them windows ME 1&2.Since then I've tryed what you suggested SYS C: at the A: prompt it did not respond had to shut machine down to get out. So, today with recovery disk 1 I choose the "format& recovery option.When it gets to % completed it stays at 0 and below that, says " Insufficient memory" and starts loading windoz I can't see how it has time to format,as it's only there may 10 or so seconds before it starts loading #1 then asks for #2it loads says remove & reboot. But, sos on reboot. Thank You Esley

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2003, 04:15 »
Are you ok with looking in Bios and doing as Bat suggested and checking that it is "seeing" C drive ok and reading it as the correct size? Is it set to Auto detect drives?
It sounds as if its not formatting it fully if its only taking a really short time.
What size and make of hard drive is it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2003, 04:30 »
You could try downloading DiscWizard starter edition from here :
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

Its free and works with none seagate discs for some functions.It has a "Zero Fill" option which will definitely thoroughly wipe the drive and then you should be able to run Fdisk,create a new partition and then format c: /s and install windows.Providing it is seeing C drive in the BIOS. If that doesnt sort it then its beyond my limited experience sorry  ???
Where are you Adept  :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2003, 04:39 »

I formatted the hd, format c;/s.

Is this just a typo?the command is:  format c: /s

ie  format then space c: then space /s

Offline esley

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2003, 04:51 »
Sandra, in the bios, under the MAIN tab it says primary master--  40982 and the only auto-detect I see has to do with the mouse. How do I know if bios is seeing hd? I 'm sure it's a maxtor I see the info when using disk #1. Thanks

Offline esley

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2003, 05:16 »
OK Thanks :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2003, 05:16 »
When you enter BIOS (on AMIBIOS and AWARD anyway)the top one I think is CMOS.Enter that and it should have the time and date and farther down the hard drive information.Where it says Primary Master it should have the option for AUTO or USER DEFINE set it to AUTO.this is done by using the page up and page down keys on the keyboard.Then when you exit remeber to save settings and exit.When it reboots it should say detecting primary master and say what make and size the drive is but it sometimes runs through too quickly to spot it.
Does that seem different to the BIOS screen that you get?

Offline esley

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2003, 05:31 »
YES IT 'S DIFFERENT ICAN'T FIND CMOS. THE BIOS IT'S A PHOENIX BRAND. THE OPTIONS ARE: MAIN - ADVANCED - POWER - BOOT  - EXIT  THAT'S IT.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2003, 05:41 »
Sorry about that Esley,I have heard of that Bios but havent used it myself so I am afraid I am out of my depth with that one.
I am sure that Adept will be fully conversant with it and will be able to advise you where it will be when he gets up.
Wake up Adept its after 5-30am you have work to do ;)

Its also way past the time I should be in bed,hopefully Adept will have sorted you out before I wake up   :)

Add me to your msn messenger contact list if you have it installed  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum