Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Disc Space  (Read 879 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Disc Space
« on: June 01, 2004, 21:54 »
I have just been having a poke about, having a clean up, etc, and I noticed that my used disc space has suddenly increased by about 25%, for no apparent reason.  This amounts to around 10-12Gb, which I can't account for.  I have not installed anything new in the last couple of weeks, but when I checked last time, my free space was about 51%, now it is down to 27%.

Is there a way to check which are the largest files and folders on my C drive?  I've emptied all my Temp files, and it only reclaimed about 100Mb.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:Disc Space
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 22:04 »
Start backing up like there's no tomorrow, and pray that your system lasts long enough to work out what's up with it.  Goodbye, Simon.   :'(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 22:46 »
Thanks Rod - most helpful.   :P ;D

I thought I'd check things out with Norton, so used End It All to close everything down, and started Norton Utilities.  I used the Speed Disc tool to analyse my disc, and lo and behold, the lost disc space had returned, and everything is now back to normal.  I then rebooted, and all is still well.

I don't understand what could have happened, but can only assume that Windows didn't calculate the disc space correctly for some reason.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 22:53 »
Maybe your disk's contents table screwed up, Simon.  Luckily, there's always a spare copy knocking around for when things go plum-shaped.  Recommend you carry on praying though.   ;)

Adept

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 19:17 »
Norton recycle bin or whatever it's called? ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 19:25 »
Clear that Sean.  Seems OK now anyway, but I did back up a couple of files just in case.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 19:32 »
sounds like the recent problem i had simon, down to norton recycle bin not deleting.  personally i think i'll get rid of it unless someone gives me a good reason not too...i really dont see the point of it.  :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 19:33 »
Yeah, you can just disable it.  It could have been that with mine.   :-\

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum