Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Help needed with an Internet corruption  (Read 715 times)

Offline sarahjohnson

• New Registration
Help needed with an Internet corruption
« on: June 06, 2004, 20:10 »
I have internet access via BT yahoo.  Unfortunately despite having what I thought was a secure anti virus and firewall setup I seem to have picked something up!!.

When accessing my BT Yahoo home page I am automatically re-directed to www.hitpointer.com (this appears to be an "adult site").  When keying in any web site it automatically re-directs me.

Anyone ever come across this or know where I need to be looking to get rid of this?

Hopefully
Sarah

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Help needed with an Internet corruption
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 20:25 »
Hi Sarah,

Sounds like you've been hijackjed!  What you need to do is download and run Ad Aware and / or Spybot, which should remove it for you.  It might be a good idea to also download Spyware Blaster, which helps to keep future spyware at bay, and Spybot will also protect your home page from future hijacking attempts.

Hope that helps.  Links below.  Come back to us if you need further help with any of these.

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster

Oh, and  

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Help needed with an Internet corruption
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 22:29 »
I also use BT/Yahoo and they really do catch 99% of viruses before they arrive in your inbox.  However, the odd one still gets through so it's still necessary to use a good antivirus software.  But the trojan you have picked up is more likely to have come from a website you visited, and not neccessarily a dodgy looking one.  Hopefully, the advice Simon has given you will help you to restore your computer to its former state.  If it's persistent, don't hesitate to come back.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum