Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sound problem  (Read 721 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Sound problem
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:32 »
Hi, I'm having trouble with sound. When windows starts/quits, i get the "starting/quitting music" but then i dont get any other sounds. Games wont play sound, but one does, however the speech is all distorted. Ive tried switching off my pc (on the assumption its getting hot) then restarted a few hours later. The sound card is a PCI card (cheapy) as onboard sound dont work. This card has been working fine for the last 6 months or so. Is there something in settings i can try? or something to download? Any help appreciated, thanks
Windows XP, 1.8 celeron processor, 384mb ddr, ATI 9100 AGP, 40gb HDD

Offline ketamininja

Re:Sound problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:24 »
A strange one. I lost sound the other night for no reason, I couldn't figure out why, a reset sorted it (but when it shut down it played the LOGOFF music!!!).... anyway

Uninstall your drivers, and install the latest ones.

Make sure you CHIPSET drivers are up to date (VIA, SIS, Nvidia Chipsets on your mainbboard).

Update DIRECTX to the latest version.

Grab the latest version of any audio codecs being used.

Good luck!  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 12:37 »
I got a very simillar problem this week.

Till now, my conclusion about the cause is "Shareaza V2.0",  (download program). It seems it's faster than the precedent, but it takes a lot of the processor power. (Especially when it uploads much more than the download).

So, maybe you have the same program or another which is taking the energy of the processor.   :-\
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 12:46 »
Man, i feel a right idiot lol. The problem was me, i knocked the line slightly out of the woofer slightly. All is fine, i just pushed it back in. All works fine. Sorry  :P

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 12:53 »
lol
:-[

oooops...

yes, well we presumed you checked all cables I guess  ;)   i like the easy fixes.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum