Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New video card and/or new driver - help?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline divah1968

New video card and/or new driver - help?
« on: June 25, 2004, 02:53 »
I attempted to install my new hp officejet all-in-one printer and was told that the installation could not be complete because of the display. I went to the display attempting to do something and I have erased the color - like i can only get 2 color or 16 color - whereas before I could get 16/32, 256, true colors, etc. I can't change the pixel from the current 640 x 480 pixels. I called hp and they told me that I may have did something to one of my drivers and/or I may need a new video card. I attempted to call technical assistance for my computer and was told that i am 4 years to late for help. The color on my monitor as of right now is horrible.
My computer is  AMD-K6 3D Processor 252.0 ram - please help me! I need help :-[

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:New video card and/or new driver - help?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:39 »
Hi divah1968, and  

If you could tell us which version of Windows you are using, and which Graphics Card or Motherboard (if onboard graphics) you have, we should be able to find the correct driver for you.

If you don't want to wait, then maybe a search on www.driverguide.com might be useful.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 15:15 »
divah1968 replied to me by e-mail, reporting problems staying logged in to the forum.  I advised, assuming IE is the browser, to set it to allow cookies from PC Pals.  The following is in response to my post above:
My operating system is windows 98 se. I don't know what motherboard I have or the video card. These numbers were on the back of my computer: IV5YA   M59057-530A/Acer 50x/Built in FM801/built in VGA/US Robotics 3595/ Z 11/Win 98 SE/MS Works 2000 Basic/U12. Also the name of the company that is listed in Syntax Computer INc and the stickers on the front of the computer is Protek and 3Com. I don't know what any of that means. And, I have a manual for something called EPoX S7-530A. I hope this is helpful. Thank you for bearing with me and my ignorance. Divah1968

Over to a techie...  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 18:07 »
Any use ;)
http://eng.epox.com.tw/cgi/product.cgi?pn=S7-530A

Built in graphics on it (hence only 252 of memory - 4 being used for GFX). Need to check the graphics settings to make sure that:

a. Its got the right graphics detected - if it's set to standard PCI then it's wrong

b. It's detected the monitor correctly - the 'about' screen on the graphics display should say something like 'PnP monitor on SiS 530".

Any of those problems will stop you changing resolution.

I'd suggest trying to boot up in safe mode and then shutdown and boot in standard mode.

If the graphics card is incorrect then installing the drivers again should fix it.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline divah1968

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 20:01 »
Hello,
Thank you Simon and Dack for your assistance. I have contacted EPoX - the motherboard company and they gave me the driver to install. However, they did not tell me what to do after the driver is installed. How do I access the folder its in? How do I use this to fix my problem? :-[Divah1968

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 20:18 »
Hi Divah, is it an exe or a zip they sent you for the driver ?
If its a zip, then unzip it to extract the exe file.
Go to the Device manager and find the Display adaptor click on the + sign and then double click on the model that opens up below it.
That will bring the properties up and there will be an option for Update Driver, click on that and tell it where the exe is for the driver and it should install it.
Then you should be able to get the display colours as you want them and install your printer  :)

Offline divah1968

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 21:10 »
Dear Sandra,

First let me say thank you then let me say that I am a complete idiot.  :-\

First,I could not find my download. Next, I went to display adapter as you instructed adn clicked on the + and double clicked on the Display adapter called stand display adapter (vga). I went to the driver tab- clicked on updated driver, hit next then the question asks, a. search for a better driver than the one your using now or b. display a list of all the drivers in a specific location so you can select the driver you want.

When I selected the recommended one, it gives a list of updated drivers in the following locations -floppy disks drives, cd-rom, microsoft update adn specify a location. I did not know what to select. I checked all of them then it told me that I was already using the best driver.

So I went back to select my own driver. when I did that the compatible hardware showed nothing. I check show all hardware it shows standard displays types and then all types of manufactures

I am sorry but I don't know what to do. ??? :-[

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 21:35 »
Hi Divah,

Assuming you have now found your download, move it to your desktop, so you know where it is, then go back to where you were before (When I selected the recommended one, it gives a list of updated drivers in the following locations -floppy disks drives, cd-rom, microsoft update adn specify a location.), and choose Specify A Location, then 'browse' to the file on your desktop, and hopefully that will do the trick.

Offline divah1968

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 21:39 »
:'( I can't find the download :-[ ???

Offline divah1968

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 21:58 »
I found the download. I moved it to the desktop/ I specified a location and then browsed to the file on my desktop. I selected next and was told that the best driver windows found is already installed for this device - click back to select another driver. I have selected the desktop file several times and I keep getting the same message. the driver is c:\windows\INF\MSDISP.INF >:( :-[

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 22:30 »
Ok lets try a different way around this  :)
The downloaded driver that you now have on the desktop is in what form ?
Is it an zip or is it just a .INF or maybe a .EXE ?

Offline divah1968

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 00:17 »
;D MY problem has been solved and as I am writing this reply the software for my printer is being loaded onto my computer. Thank you all so much for your support and most of all  your patience and understanding  :D  

I am sending a mass email to all of my friends and associates about this website!!! You guys are the best :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 00:20 »
Glad you managed it in the end Divah although I dont know how we helped, apart from saying you needed the correct driver installing  :)

Offline divah1968

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 00:24 »
You guys helped me by listening to my problem and giving me solutions on how to solve it - that's how you all helped me.  :D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 00:29 »
Ok thats why we started this forum, and its nice to be appreciated :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum