Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Virtual memory  (Read 1028 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Virtual memory
« on: June 30, 2004, 21:13 »
Hi all

i was burning a slideshow using nero 6 today. its a technique i've used successfully before when running win ME, the files (jpegs) are burned as a vcd and it makes a dvd player compliant slideshow.  however i got a message saying nero was out of virtual memory, it tried to free some up but the program froze and in the end i had to reboot the pc.

any tips on how much extra virtual memory i could create and views on why this problem might happen.  i can burn large dvd's no problem at > 4 GB yet this project was only about 45 meg involving around 100 jpegs yet it failed.

i'm running xp pro and have 256 MB sdram (i know its not a lot but like i say i can burn dvd compilations ok)  :-\

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re:Virtual memory
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 21:54 »
Just checked out my paging file size, its 384 MB  i.e.  1.5 X RAM so its the recommended amount.  Could there be a problem with XP hogging all the RAM, although the total file sizes i was writing were so small compared with the paging file size there shouldnt have been a problem  :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 23:09 »
In the abscence of anyone more technical, I would suggest closing everything else down, that you can safely do, before trying the task again, Dave.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 13:38 »
Thats what i'll have to do simon  :-[, until i go and buy some more ram anyhow.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 13:49 »
Dave, Nero by default will put its cache on C: drive, if you have another partition or drive then move it to there, that may help  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 15:18 »

Dave, Nero by default will put its cache on C: drive, if you have another partition or drive then move it to there, that may help  :)

i'll certainly try that sandra, tho' both drives in use have tons of room on and dont need defragging.

maybe it was just a glitch in the normally reliable nero  ;)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 16:51 »
I would suggest that it should work without moving the drive as Sandra suggested, but worth trying anyway.

Try doing your regular spyware check etc... could something be stuck in memory from that?

Also, some data may be stuck in memory if the pointer is lost - it may have been a one off incident... believe it or not the sun will make your PC crash once a month on average due to radiation changing a 0 to a 1 in the memory.... strange but true, so you could image it is a one off. Try again normally, and see if you get the same result.

But I do think thats kinda strange...

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 19:44 »

... believe it or not the sun will make your PC crash once a month on average due to radiation changing a 0 to a 1 in the memory.... strange but true, so you could image it is a one off. Try again normally, and see if you get the same result.

But I do think thats kinda strange...

thanks, could be a stray cosmic ray i guess  :o

got spyware blaster, spybot, adaware all up to date, i think it probably was a one off, i'll try again.   ;)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 20:29 »
Ah well tried again and the same thing happened, again at 44% completion....weird.

even stranger i decided to backup the same jpegs, agin using nero, this time as an iso cd-rom.  worked fine but the total size of the files was 130 MB as opposed to 44 MB when writing them as a vcd slideshow.

think i'll give up, anyone know any reasonable (free  :P) slideshow writing software  :-\

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum