Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Rebooting/Power Problem?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline jf_tokyo

• New Registration
Rebooting/Power Problem?
« on: July 16, 2004, 03:39 »
Hi All,

I've had a rebooting issue with my pc for a while... maybe a year, in two different appartments...
I suspect a power problem but not sure if it's my Power Supply or what.
If my pc is the only thing running in my apartment, no problem. But if another high power device starts up, my pc reboots and usually keeps rebooting until I shut off the other device.
For example, if my refridgerator cooler/fan starts up, my pc reboots. If I'm ironing, and I put the iron on the charger stand, my pc reboots. Turn on the AC, my pc gets stuck in a rebooting loop....
I've never blown a breaker and the problem used to happen in my last residence, in my wife's mother's house. However, mom's pc never had this trouble. And now, my wife's sister moved into our old place and she has no trouble....

So, I don't believe the problem is my apartment.

Any suggestions? Replace the power supply? get a UPS?

Before summer, when I wasn't using my AC, it was tolerable because it rarely happened... but now I have to choose AC or PC? Unacceptable! ;)
Thanks,
Jamey

Adept

Re:Rebooting/Power Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:14 »
Hi Jamey :welcome:

It does sound as if your PSU is a bit "sensitive". The only way you will know for sure is to replace it. Perhaps you can borrow one from somewhere to test it, before committing yourself to spending money?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:39 »
Just a thought, but would you happen to be using the same power board in both apartments?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:36 »
This couldn't be anything to do with the MS Blast worm could it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:16 »

Before summer, when I wasn't using my AC, it was tolerable because it rarely happened... but now I have to choose AC or PC? Unacceptable! ;)
Thanks,
Jamey

I am just thinking that maybe its not the PSU after all as you say it rarely happens unless you have the AC on, so it may be a heat issue.
Have you any progs such as Si-Soft Sandra that can monitor your CPU and board temperatures  ???

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 15:15 »
Can anyone tell me what does "AC" mean?
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 15:21 »
It's Air Conditioning Joudi.  ;)

Offline jf_tokyo

• New Registration
More Info
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 14:45 »
Hi All,

I have another peice of info.... a good arguement for the Power Supply theory:
My Power SUpply operates on an input voltage of 115v. My home, as is normal here in Japan, has an output of only 100v. What do you think? Is that the problem? It's close enough to run, but so weak that if there's any fluctuation in the power supply, such as when another appliance starts up, the pc reboots?

Do I need to replace? Or would a converter solve the problem?

Let's see.... to answer some of your queries....

Simon, what is a power board? Is that something in the computer? If so, then yes, it was the same in both apartments as I have made no changes to it.

Sandra, I don't think it's a heat issue. Though it rarely happens except when the AC is on, it definitely happens immediately after another major appliance is turned on... for instance, I just turned on the pc now and logged on. My wife then turned the tv on and POW, reboot....(><)
Unfortunately, I do not have any progs that can monitor my temps.... are there any available to download?

Thanks for your replies!

Jamey

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 15:44 »
Does sound like a power supply problem. Any 'spike' on the power line, for example switching an Air Con or Heater on (which requires a major current on switch on), would cause the coputer to have a temporary drop of voltage (with associated lock up/reboot/crash). Any device that required a LOT of current e.g. Air Con in normal usage, would drop the mains voltage a bit and then not allow the computer to function correctly. (On a similar  note when I put my shower on - its an 8.5KW, the lights in my house dim a bit).

What would probably be the best option for you would be some form of UPS as it would smoth any fluctuations in power supply.

Alternatively a new power supply for the computer that is designed to run at 100V.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 16:05 »
To Techies:

I see in the commerce an electric device with multi-sockets. Special for computers power (for the electric security, in case the power cuts off unexpectidly). Don't you think that it may do the job for Jamey? Doesn't it keep regular power?

In fact, I never used it and I don't know all it's advantages. Techies probably can provide us some information.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 16:24 »
Thats what Dack has suggested Joudi, a UPS.
It contains a battery that recharges so that if the power supply is disrupted for some reason it can supply the PC with enough power to keep it running long enough to save any work that you are in the middle of doing and then allow you to shut down safely.
It also has the advantage of being a regulated and smoothed power supply so that voltage drops or surges shouldnt affect the PC  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 16:44 »
This is what I was referring to, Jamey.  An extension cable to plug multiple appliances into one electrical socket.  However, I would recommend you follow Dack's advice.  He's not often wrong!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 21:56 »

He's not often wrong!   ;)

An advantage of being male ;)

Now if only I was a teenager then I'd know everything as well.

:whistle:
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum