Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Blondie needs help  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Blondie needs help
« on: July 27, 2004, 14:16 »
As usual, Serenity is giving me a headache  ::)
she visited me last week wither her two pcs and I set up a LAN for her using a US robotics router

http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-wired-product.asp?prod=net-bb-rout02&page=specs&loc=unkg

As she has NTL cable BB and I have ADSL, I couldnt set the WAN up for her here.
She is using NTLs own Ambit cable modem with USB and ethernet connections.
The pc is currently working on line via usb.
She has disconnected the usb from the modem and connected the router via ethernet cables to the modem and her pc and can access the setup part of the router via the web interface.
Unfortunately even though its set for dynamic IP as NTL said it needed to be it wont connect to any webpages.
Should the modem be uninstalled ?
Should it be installed as an ethernet one ?
Any suggestions or help appreciated as I have never used anything on cable  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Blondie needs help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 14:33 »
Sure it's not a firewall problem, San?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 14:38 »
Disabled in case it did Simon  :(

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 14:49 »
Did you try the trouble shooting on the support page as there is loads in there  :waving:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 15:33 »
Didnt have much time to work through it yet Cammy but going to try installing the modem as an ethernet one and possibly releasing the MAC address and letting it get a new one when the routers connected this evening, unless someone comes up with a definative solution.
Then will try the ping tets  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 20:55 »
It appears that the etherent port on the cable modem isnt connecting to the one on the pc, I have read on a couple of forums that some people have been fine using the modem on USB but were unable to connect via ethernet due to a faulty ethernet port on the modem and they had to get a new modem.
This is what I think the problem is, does anyone know of a way to test the modems ethernet port other than by substituting it with another one  ???

Adept

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 07:06 »
Sounds to me as if the cable modem needs to be switched into ethernet mode rather than USB mode Sandra. Does the CM have any status lights on it to tell you that the ethernet link to the router is working? (e.g. a link light).

Is there some setup software you have to run to change the settings on the CM? You may have to connect the CM to the PC in order to change the settings and then connect back to the router.

Once connected, you should be able to ping the modem's gateway address either from the router (if it has the facility) or from a PC on the network side.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 13:08 »
There isnt a switch on it Adept.
According to everything I have read its just a case of switching the power to the modem off for 30 seconds, switching the pc off then disconnect the USB lead, connect by ethernet, switch the power back on for the modem and once the ready and sync lights are on restart the pc.This should then have the etherent light on the modem on and she should be able to connect to the net.
Unfortunately the light doesnt come on and she cant connect to the net, she has tried 2 different brand new ethernet leads that both worked fine when I had them connected at my house  ???

Adept

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 18:33 »
Perhaps it needs a crossover rather than straight-through patch lead ???

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 18:45 »
Been onto the Tech support line for 45 mins  ::) after checking various options they couldnt work out what the problem is therefore an engineer is coming this weekend, its probably a faulty Ethernet socket in the Cable Modem  ::)  but we will soon see.

Ohh and Adept I was assured by NTL its a straight through cable and not a cross over that is required

Thanks for all the advice guys... I will keep you posted  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 14:35 »
Ok all sorted now  :)

Lots of hours wasted due to the modem being faulty on the ethernet side  :(

New modem fitted this afternoon and shes now on line and router working for both pcs, just need to get the file and folder sharing sorted out sometime in the near future  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum