Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Strange USB ports!  (Read 1041 times)

Offline dnf999

Strange USB ports!
« on: August 14, 2004, 16:19 »
Hi all

I have a weird thing going on with my usb ports.  For example my Broadband modem is plugged into a USB port - if i take it out and plug it into a different USB port - it does not recognise the modem and I have to re-install the drivers!!.  Although if i plug it back to the USB port it is originally in, then its fine!  ???  Any reason why this happens?

Also, how can i tell which of my USB ports are USB 2.0 as I have about 8 USB ports, but transfer rates seem to differ from them so I'm sure some are USB 1.0  
???

Thanks for any help on this topic!!

Cheers

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Strange USB ports!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 20:36 »
Well, as far as the first question goes, mine does that as well.  I had assumed that Windows assigned each USB port to what it was orignally used for, and kept it in memory, therefore plugging in a different device to a USB post previously assigned to another device, would prompt the Add New Hardware procedure.  Of course, that could be completely wrong, but at least you might be reassured that it's not just you!

Not sure about the second point, but hopefully one of the techies will be able to help you later.

:)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 23:57 »

Also, how can i tell which of my USB ports are USB 2.0 as I have about 8 USB ports, but transfer rates seem to differ from them so I'm sure some are USB 1.0  

Are the usb ports all on board or have you got some on board and then added a PCI card for the extra ones ?
If its a seperate PCI card you added that was USB 2 then those will be the USB 2 ones and the onboard ones will probably be USB 1, unless its quite a new motherboard.
Can you tell us the make and model of your mobo and the PCI card you added if you did add one  :)

Offline dnf999

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 22:55 »
My mobo is MSI 865PE Neo2, recent motherboard if im not mistaken.  I do not have any PCI cards,  although I have front USB ports (but im sure connected directly to motherboard).  8 USB ports in total.  Is there no way of checking what type they are in My computer or something?

Cheers Miss Kirsten Dunst  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 00:08 »
According to the MSI site :

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=433

Your mobo has 8 USB 2.0 ports, Rear x 6/Front x 2 or Rear x 4 / Front x 4

Cant think why it seems to only work in the one its installed to though.

Yours Kirsten  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum