Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thick or what?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Barra

• Established Member
Thick or what?
« on: August 14, 2004, 11:24 »
I've been having the odd disconnection on my DSL. It had been suggested by my ISP to check wiring to see if the problem could be there. So I disconnected all telephone and modem wires, got rid of a caller display box as phone has this anyway.Now I've reset it all but here lies the problem. The line goes into a surge protector.Trouble is I can't work out if it's the line from the telephone socket or the lines from telephone and modem that goes into the input socket and which goes into the output. It works whichever way I do it. The answer is probably bleedin obvious but brain ain't functioning too well this morning :) :(
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Thick or what?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 11:38 »
I have a surge protector, but I don't use the phone bits.  I would imagine the protector is supposed to come between the BT phone socket, and the Modem, as that would be the first line of defence (no pun intended).   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 11:50 »
I know it goes between socket and modem. It's which goes in input and which goes in output
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 12:17 »
I should think that the phone line from the socket goes in the in and then the out goes to the modem.
Think of it like the aerial lead going into a VCR in the in and from VCR to TV in the out  :)

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 15:26 »
Lol. Not thick after all cos that's what i did :)
Not sorted my problem though :(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 19:20 »
Motto of the day:  Never trust your ISP.   ;) I would give it a few days to see if they are at fault and not you Barra.  Mine never admits to anything and I don't bother phoning them anymore if the connection goes down.  Mine has an automatic cut-off after 2 hours of inactivity but in practice I can't actually tell that this takes place since one you refresh it seamlessly reconnects again.  If all else fails, try replacing cables (if possible) one by one.  After that, it may possibly be a faulty modem?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 20:38 »
I should think that the phone line from the socket goes in the in and then the out goes to the modem.

That's what I meant.  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 21:24 »

Motto of the day:  Never trust your ISP.   ;) I would give it a few days to see if they are at fault and not you Barra.  Mine never admits to anything and I don't bother phoning them anymore if the connection goes down.  Mine has an automatic cut-off after 2 hours of inactivity but in practice I can't actually tell that this takes place since one you refresh it seamlessly reconnects again.  If all else fails, try replacing cables (if possible) one by one.  After that, it may possibly be a faulty modem?

Sorry to disillusion you Clive. 1/It has been a few days, and 2/I'm with Plusnet. One of the reasons I've stayed with them for about 3 years is the fact thay they are actually honest. I can be kept informed of any potential faults, or if sudden, what it was. If BT, then BT gets the blame as all other ISPs do, but, if Plusnet screw up they admit it which most ISPs do not :P :D
Oh and 3/They have a good contact system on their site. :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 07:03 »
Plusnet's honesty is no more than clever illusion Barra.  If you look in the Plusnet portal archives you will find my name mentioned giving them a glowing reference.  I use them as a back up dial-up connection and I was quite happy to shell out £6 a month for the privilege.  Never failed to connect.....to begin with anyway.  Then the troubles started.  It became absolutely impossible to log on as they were always busy.  I complained to them and they said that it was BT's fault.  Hmmmmm, how come my other ISP works without problem then?  

Next thing they whop the price up to £9 a month! For a service which was impossible to access!  I decided to downgrade to PAYG and have never failed to connect first time since.

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 13:36 »
Lets settle on horses for courses Clive. :)
I'm staying put. If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

Oh by the way, dial up is now £4.99 per month :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 16:16 »
I used Plusnet as a backup ISP because BT Internet considered me to be a heavy user (moi???) and switched me to a dial-up number which was always engaged during the evening.  To be fair, Plusnet were excellent, and honest enough to state the limitations of the length of time I could stay online.  Naturally, when I upgraded to BB I used them much more infrequently and it was not long afterwards that the problems began.  The price hike for something I wasn't using was intolerable so I more or less dumped them by switching to PAYG.  £4.99 a month is exceptional value for Plusnet Lite.  I still find PAYG very useful when BT goes down and refuse to admit it -it happened again only last week.  Fortunately BT mail is web based (through Yahoo) as well as POP3 so I could deal with all my mail through Plusnet.   ;D

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 19:28 »
so I could deal with all my mail through Plusnet

Ooooooooooooooooooooh! the nerve of some people ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 22:17 »
He who dares.....   :heehee:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum