Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Laptop doesn't power up.  (Read 775 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Laptop doesn't power up.
« on: August 24, 2004, 17:09 »
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone has experiance in fixing laptop computers, but thought I'd post my query anyway.

I recently sold my old Sony Vaio laptop on ebay and safely posted it off. Sadly it was damaged in transit (Royal Mail won't pay compo - another story) and I don't know whats wrong with it.

There are no obvious marks of damage, but the unit will not power up. When the power button is pushed, the lights flicker and then nothing happens. No drive or fan noise - nothing  :-\  It was fine when I posted it off.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried replacing the memory.  Could it be a CPU or power issue. Would replacing the BIOS battery or CHIP fix it - really I don't have a clue.

Any advice would be great, otherwise its back on ebay selling it as spares! (I don't need the laptop - but need the cash!!).

DJ

PS - Can't remember if I posted the same question before, the laptop has been sitting in a drawer for the last few weeks.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Laptop doesn't power up.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 17:38 »
Can you get at the cpu fan lead ?
If that has been broken off its contact through being bounced about that would have the same symptoms as you describe  :(

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 17:58 »
The CPU fan lead looks ok and the contact is plugged into the board correctly.  If it wasn't would that stop the laptop powering up completely?

Might look for a replacment fan.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 18:15 »
If the bios detects the fan not spinning up it will shut down immediately DJ  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 18:23 »
OK - Will track down a replacment fan and let you know how I get on.

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum