Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: scratches/noises when ripping mp3s  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Drox

scratches/noises when ripping mp3s
« on: September 10, 2004, 03:05 »
Hello All...

I have a feeling this is a common complaint, but I couldn't find reference to it using the "search" function. When I rip mp3s--using a brand new, sparkling and scratch-free, CD, the resulting Mp3 has random blips and scratchy sounds. I can rip the same file twice or more using the same program and the mp3 will still have unwanted sounds, though they're sometimes scattered in different places.

Since the cd is brand new, and the blips/scratches appear with different ripping programs, I assume my drive is at fault, for some reason or other. Is there a simple explanation for this? Perhaps there's a naughty discrepancy between my read and write-to-hard drive speeds?

Any ideas are appreciated. It's a frustrating problem indeed.

D.

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Re:scratches/noises when ripping mp3s
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 07:10 »
My best guess would be that it's your CD drive. I've never had this problem b4 so I'm just taking a stab in the dark.

Have you tried using a different CD drive (if you can)?

I don't know if it would be a driver problem...do you have the latest drivers for it? It wouldn't hurt to d/l them. What's the make and model of the CD drive, and what OS are u running?

I'm sure someone will know the right answer...until then, this should keep you busy, lol  ;).

Edit: Wait...sorry, you say that you're using a new (blank?) CD? Don't you "rip" songs from a CD with music on it already? Maybe I'm reading this wrong...I dunno...
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Drox

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 18:14 »
Hello Hiatus:

By new cd I meant a brand new music cd, fresh out of the cellophane wrapper (with an unmarked surface). I'm running a Samsung SN-308B in a Dell 8200 with Windows XP. And yes, I have tried a burner on a desktop, and it's usually scratch-free!

As far as I know I have the newest drivers!

Thanks for your thoughts!

D.

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 18:47 »
Hi Drox  :wave:

I'd try using a cleaning CD in the drive,  it may be that you have a bit of dust or something on the eye thingy :)

Failing that you could wait for someone to come along who knows what they're doing, that sure as hell aint me  :whistle:
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Drox

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 18:58 »
Greenking:

Haha! I wonder if that could be the problem. It hasn't been cleaned in 2 or so years.

Incidentally, there is a firmware update for the drive, but it involves using floppy discs, and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. A real sweet situation.

D.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 20:41 »
Can you just clarify this, please Drox?  :)

Are you saying that when you rip a CD to your hard drive, then play the MP3s back through Winamp / Windows Media Player / whatever, that's when you get the clicks and noises?  

Or are you saying that you still get unwanted noises once you've burned the MP3s to a CD, then playback the CD?  If so, it is the same when you do a CD copy on the fly?

Or all of the above?  ;D

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 21:34 »

Hello Hiatus:

I'm running a Samsung SN-308B in a Dell 8200 with Windows XP.

My advice: Don't buy a Dell.

lol, j/k. Their laptops are...alright...I have a Dell Latitude and it's been giving me TONS of problems.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Drox

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 22:14 »
Simon:

Yes, I get the noises when I play the Mp3 back using Windows Media or any player program. Also, when I burn mp3s that are flawless which I've downloaded from elsewhere (i.e, haven't burned myself), I've been getting clicks and scratches. If by "on the fly" you mean an entire disc-to-disc copy, the noise isn't such a problem.

Hiatus:

I've liked my Dell 8200--it's the cd drive that's given me problems.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 23:12 »
I often get clicks and pops when playing MP3s direct from my hard drive, in WMP or Winamp, especially if I'm running other stuff as well, but once burned onto CDs, there's no unwanted noises at all.  I'm guessing it's something do to with the way media players read from a hard drive.

If you burn a CD, then play it on a separate CD player, how is it then?  I'm just trying to establish if the problem only occurs when playing music direct from MP3s stored your hard drive, rather then when playing actual burned CDs.  

Yes, "on the fly" means a direct CD to CD copy, using two disc drives, rather than first storing the source CD on your hard drive.

If funds permit, and the problem persists, a new CD-RW drive can be bought for less than £20.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Drox

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 07:02 »
It's strange: sometimes mp3s that play well on the harddrive develop scratches somewhere in the burning process: when I play the finished disc on my home stereo, the noises are there. So it seems there's no way to guarantee a clean product.

I've never tried to burn "scratchy" mp3s because, I think, the less ruined discs, the better. In the meantime, I'm ripping to my desktop w/o problems and transfering the files to my laptop. But this is rather tiresome. The bloody thing should work on its own. Ah, well.

D.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 09:37 »
I would suggest you try cleaning your CD-RW drive, as Greenking suggested, or if you're like me, and can't be arsed, buy a new one.  I have had a LiteOn for about two years, which has given me no problems, and you can pick these up online, at www.Dabs.com, for example, for about £15 or you could go for a Sony, which might be considered more robust, for about £20.  However, if cash isn't critical, you might consider going for a DVD Writer, which can do the lot (albeit slighly slower at writing CDs than a CD Writer), as you can get a  Pioneer 8X DVD Writer (OEM) for less than 50 quid!  I'm almost tempted with that one myself, as my current DVD Writer is only 2X.

Offline Drox

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 20:24 »
I think a DVD-Writer is the way to go, though in the meantime I'd like some clarity in my music. Let's call it a bleeding until the proper surgery can be arranged.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum