Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Creating an "Image File"  (Read 1792 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Creating an "Image File"
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:51 »
To those who have a little experience in copying, burning and cloning CD?s:

I know how to burn the ?Image File? when it?s done by someone else, like games and softwares. But I don?t know exactly how to make that image. (Bin/Cue, Iso, etc?)

I was trying today, and succeeded to make an image of a game by using ?Alcohol 120 %. I made that image out of the original CD game. But I wasn?t able to do the same by using ?Nero?.

I have many other burning programs. So, anyone can advice me the best one to make the ?Image File?, (Any data File)?

In fact, what I need exactly is:

1 ? How to make an ?Image File? out of an original CD.
2 ? How to make an ?Image File? out of a folder (or files) which is/are on my hard disk (and not on a CD).

Which program will be advised?

Thanks?
object width="450" height="150">

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re:Creating an "Image File"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 10:51 »
Hi Joudi

I think ?? nero will burn ISO files which is what i think you're after. ie an exact duplicate of the original that will function without other software. Of course i could be talking  :bart:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 14:03 »
Did you try WinIso as I suggested last night Joudi ?

This link explains how to make the ISO with it :

http://www.downloadatoz.com/winiso/how-to-create-iso-images.html

This link explains how to then convert an ISO to a Cue and Bin :

http://www.downloadatoz.com/winiso/convert-iso-to-bin.html

I am moving this to the General Software section :doggie:

Offline DanielB

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 14:14 »
Hmm, thought we weren't supposed to talk about illegal things here? Obviously we are talking about backing up a game that you wrote and distributed....

Anyway, making copies of CD's for backup purposes has become more and more difficult. Copy protection schemes are getting better  :(

I used to use CloneCD, but now with the latest version of The Sims (2) it refuses to let you play the game with CloneCD installed, or Alcohol, or a couple of other programs.

Nero will not make proper copies of copy protected games, it just messes up. But you can make images of folders from your hard drive. All you have to do is change the burner you are using from your actual burner to the other option, virtual drive, or some such thing... I am at work, don't have nero in front of me. nero 6 makes this pretty easy, here is a drop down menu on the tool bar that will have the name of your current burner, just swtich to the hard drive writing or virtual whatever they call it.... create a cd like you normally would, draging the files from the hard drive to the CD. then when you burn the cd... it will ask where to save the image. The default is to make a .nri file, which is a nero specific image, but I think you can change this to .iso files.

Backing up the copy protected cd's... umm, there are many sites that talk about how to do this... have a look around. Alcohol is a good program i hear, but I have never used it before.

D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 14:37 »
I just read this on Neros site :

Only Nero 6 supports creating an ISO Image file, as well as creating a Nero NRG Image file

Nero 4, Nero 5, and Nero 5.5 will only create a Nero NRG Image file.

All versions of Nero can create a CD from NRG, ISO, BIN and CUE image files.

Daniel, Joudi and I chatted about this on messenger last night and initially he was wanting to create an iso image of some mixed data files,(mp3s, jpgs and docs etc.), already on his hard drive.
Nero 6 burning rom comes up as unexpected format if you try and make an image of mixed files  :(
I have just opened Nero Smart Start from the Nero 6.3 Ultra Edition and that has the option for make UDF/ISO Disc under the Data tab.
I have just tried it with a mix of mp3s, exe, jpg and bitmap files and it burns it to a location that you specify on your hard drive as an ISO  :)
I dont know if you have that version or not Joudi but I am sure you will get it if you havent got it already  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 18:38 »
Hmm, thought we weren't supposed to talk about illegal things here?

That's quite correct, Daniel.  But we know Joudi would never dream of doing anything illegal.  ;) ;D

Sandra also, as we know, is pure as the driven snow.  :whistle:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 20:23 »

Hmm, thought we weren't supposed to talk about illegal things here?

That's quite correct, Daniel.  But we know Joudi would never dream of doing anything illegal.  ;) ;D

Sandra also, as we know, is pure as the driven snow.  :whistle:

;D  You are faster than me to answer, Simon.   ;)

Well, to make the matter clear, here it is:

In fact, I prefere "Alcohol 120 %" as a burner. I use it the most often. One of its' advantages is that it burns images of about 800 MB on a CD of 700 Mb. This advantage doesn't exist in "Nero" or others (according to what I know). Others can overburn a little more than 700.

But "Alcohol" has one disadvantage which is: It burns only "image File". I didn't find (or I don't know) how to make it burn normal data files.

BTW, if someone can tell me how I can use it to burn normal data files I'll be thankful.

Well, that's why I needed to make some large data files in form of "Image File". They are much more than 700 mb. If I succeed to make that large data as an "Image File", I'll be able to burn it on "Alcohol".

But of course I like to learn better the technology of, how to make an "Image File" out of:

1 - Original CD. (I well say: "Original").
2 - Data files on my hard disk.

Is it legal now, Daniel?    ;)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 21:20 »
Got it guys.    :)

Well, it was a matter of how to use the software.

First, thanks to Sandra, and Lobo that who suuggested that idea, or part of it, before.

In fact, The problem was that, when I open "WinIso" or "UltraIso", I used to go to the menu bar and take the "File" tab. Then, "New" or "Open". Importing the wanted file didn't work.

What should be done now is:

Instead of going to the "File" tab, we must go to the next one, "Actions". Then "Add Files". Choose the files, and then go back to the first tab "File", and save them somewhere. They'll become an "ISO Image File".

If we like to convert them into Bin/Cue, we can go to the "Convert" tab.

It's important to mention here that we can add any kind of data as different elements to make that image.

Sandra, I have the same version of "Nero 6.3 Ultra Edition" which you've mentioned. It doesn't work with me. I don't know how it worked with you.   ???

P.S.   If someone knows another way to make an "Image File" by using other softwares, it'll be welcome adding it here.   Thanks...

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 21:09 »
Your wish is my command Joudi  ;)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=259#comments
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 00:16 »
Thanks Lona,

Well, I downloaded CDMAGE and tried it. Seems to me that it's an extractor (from image) program. I's not an image maker. Or, maybe I didn't know how to use it.

What I was asking for is, a program which can creat images of files. Any file format. Mixed format files.

Thanks anyway. seems you've kept my need in your memory and intention.    :)

But "winIso" and "Ultra Iso" are good programs for that Lona. If one day you feel the need, you can use one of them.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 01:25 »

Sandra, I have the same version of "Nero 6.3 Ultra Edition" which you've mentioned. It doesn't work with me. I don't know how it worked with you.   ???

Before I tried it in Smart Start Joudi, I was looking in the start/programs list at what was in NERO 6 and theres another program called Nero Image Drive, I clicked on that and it said something like it wasnt installed did I want to install it, I said yes but I didnt know what to put in the options to set it up so I closed it.
Maybe by doing that it enabled the feature in Smart Start  ???

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 02:32 »
I thought of that option too Sandra, and already tried it before. It's not the functionality which I want really. It adds a virtual drive to your "My computer". And, don't know exactly the use. but not really the "Image files" which we're thinking of.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 03:13 »
I know thats not what you wanted Joudi but I tried Smart Start after installing that Nero Image Drive so maybe it needs installing before it works in Smart Drive as you said you have the same version as me and yours wont work  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum