Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Boot Disk Failure  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Boot Disk Failure
« on: October 09, 2004, 17:03 »
A friend had the old "Boot Disk Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter..." problem, but rebooting and / or pressing Enter didn't work, so I suggested checking the IDE cable connections to his HDD amd Motherboard.  He did this, and found that the connection to the HDD was not seated fully.  Subsquently, everything was OK for about a week, but now the problem has resurfaced.  He says, when he "wiggles the connector", the problem is resolved, but this now happens every time he starts his PC.

I can't see how the IDE connector could keep coming loose, so could this be just a bad cable, or could there be some other underlying problem?  The HDD is a Western Digital, purchased a year ago from PC World.  Do these have 3 year warranties, and would PC World honour this if it turns out the HDD is at fault, or would we have to contact the manufacturers?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Boot Disk Failure
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 00:20 »
Try a different cable first Simon, then if its still the same take a note of the drives serial number and if you go on to Western Digitals site theres a place on it that you can enter the serial number, and if its still covered by the guarantee, will give you an RMA number and instructions about returning it for a replacement.
The last Western Digital I sent back had to go to Germany but was replaced within 8 days or so  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 08:31 »
Thanks Sandra.  Does the serial number appear on screen anywhere, or is it a question of looking on the actual drive itself?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 09:07 »
2 options Simon  ;)

Everest or Belarc.
This is with Everest

Or you could go to the western site and download a small piece of software that checks the drive out and it also gives you the serial # in the readings

http://support.wdc.com/dlg/onlinedlg.asp

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 19:51 »
I would look on the drive itself Simon, it may not give the full number on a software program  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 20:09 »
OK, thanks guys.  I will be seeing him tomorrow night, when he should have got and tested a new cable, so I'll report back when I know more.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum