Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: cpu  (Read 715 times)

Offline jon996

cpu
« on: October 11, 2004, 16:15 »
hey all,

i dono why buy my cpu is maxxxing out at 100% usage when im not doin anythingg or just listenin to music...
i have my hdd isnt even half full and i haVe 512ram?!?
wots goin on? oo and i dont hava virus

jonnnnn :o :o
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:cpu
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 16:24 »
Sounds like spyware - have you scanned with Ad Aware and Spybot?  Don't forget to update them first.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jon996

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 16:44 »
updated ad aware did a scan...still runnin lyk a piece of crap >:( >:( arghh well i defrag etc

charsss ;)
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 17:34 »
If you have ruled out a virus or spyware, try shutting your running processes down one by one until you identify the culprit.  This has happened to me twice in the past few weeks.  The first was caused by the Official Big Brother  website which I was frequenting and left open as a window.  It was fine for 15 minutes or so and then the CPU went crazy.  Once I closed it my cpu useage plummetted.  On Saturday it happened again but this time it was Norton's playing up.  It wasn't even doing a virus scan!  I closed it down and started it up again and all was ok again.

Offline Paddylast

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 03:06 »
I had some problems like this recently - it was all down to some spyware/trojans on my machine.  Have a look at your current processes and if any of the following are running you may have a problem:

winmplayer.exe
realplay.exe
updates.exe
winclean.exe

If none of the above are showing up it could still be something else.  Try a google search for every process you don't recognise and if there are any "dodgy" ones remove them immediately. :waving:
hy is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum