Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: LCD Screen  (Read 850 times)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
LCD Screen
« on: October 20, 2004, 07:21 »
What if one were to....uh, accidentally place a magnet near their LCD screen on a laptop...?

If this were to happen, what would one do to fix this?

;D ::) :P

P.S. It's not under warranty... :(
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Re:LCD Screen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 07:47 »
It's good that you told about that. I can watch not to do it. I never knew about it.

I have no idea at all about the solution. But, was I in your shoes, I would try first to disconnect it from the electricity for a while. Maybe later, ininstall and reinstall it, to see if it changes anything.

maybe some search in the net will help to find the solution (if there is one).
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:13 »
Not sure if a laptop screen is the same as a desktop monitor, but, with a desktop monitor, presumably, if one were to do that, one would then have a purple splodge at the top of their screen, which is usually fixed by degaussing.  There is sometimes a degaussing tool in the monitor controls.  Sometimes a screen will automatically degauss if you switch off and unplug the power supply for a longish period of time, overnight, perhaps?

Sorry if that's no help for a laptop.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 08:26 »
not sure if my post now will be helpful, but I liked to add it, just in case.

Are you sure that your problem is coming from a magnet?

According to this site, it makes us understand something else. Of course, it's about TV LCD, but I think it must be the same technology, no?

http://www.tvauthority.com/LCD-TV-and-Monitors/Sharp-LC-15B4U-S.asp

LCD TVs have other advantages, too, besides portability and flexible placement options. Unlike a standard tube-type TV, an LCD TV doesn't use an electron gun, so the display isn't susceptible to distortion from a nearby magnet (like a speaker). And with LCD panels you never have to worry about an image "burning in" permanently ? great news for video game fans!
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 18:42 »
Ok! We're good to go...

My roommate told me to leave it overnight with the battery out, which I did. And now it works again!

8) Phew, got lucky this time I guess.....

PS I'm sure it was the magnet. Once it got close the screen just went black. I heard that magnets didn't affect LCD screens as well, but from my little "experiment", apparently they do!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum