Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Shutdown too...  (Read 939 times)

Offline Deino

Shutdown too...
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:59 »
Hi all!!!
Actually, my problem is almost about the same as DaMike. Whenever I ran my computer it will just shutdown. It doesn't matter any program I open or use. Even if I leave my computer on without using any software it will still shutdown. I've formatted my harddisk a couple of time incase of undetected spyware but still the problem remains. I've check the OS log file and it mentioned something about CMOS battery failure.
I've changed the Mother board battery just in case, but still the prob. remains. What's the problem actually? Can someone help me here?
 :'(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Shutdown too...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 10:06 »
Hi Deino, and  

This could be a number of things, but one of the most common causes of random shutdowns, if you have eliminated viruses / spyware, etc, is overheating of the CPU.  Have you checked that the fan is working properly, and not caked up in dust, and that the CPU is seated correctly?

The other thing to perhaps consider is, when you reloaded Windows after formatting, did you go online for any length of time (even a minute) without Anti Virus and Firewall protection running?  It's possible to get infected with the MS Blaster worm (or one of it's variants), even just going online to get the updates for Windows and your AV / Firewall, after installing Windows, if you have not first loaded the Windows patch to block it. This also causes random shutdowns.

Hopefully one of our proper techies will be along later with some more help for you.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Deino

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 05:09 »
Thanks for replying Simon  :D
I've checked the fan and it really did cake up with dust :P
This maybe sound stupid but... how to actually clean it without damaging the fan? :-\
I can confidently rule out worms cause I haven't go online after formatting. Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it.  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 10:40 »
Not sure if a real techie would agree with this, but how about a small soft paintbrush, or something like that?  You can even (VERY carefully!!) use a hoover, with a small ended attachment, to clear out the dust residue from the bottom of the case, once you have brushed round.  Make sure you wear an anti static wrist band, or at least earth yourself on a radiator or something, before poking about inside the case, and obviously make sure the power is disconnected. I'm only saying this, because it's a method I have sucessfully used myself. If the fan is that bad, it may be preferable to replace it, but you may be lucky and cleaning might work.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 10:56 »
I think you can also buy small cans of compressed air from places such as Maplins.   :)

Offline Deino

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:29 »
Hi guys!
I've tried cleaning the fan but still the problem remains. Any other suggestion. My computer specs:
P4 2.0G
Intel D845WN
2 x 256 PC133 SDRAM
40GB Western Digital HD
GeForce 2FX 64mb
Please help me out here guys... I can't live without my pc :'(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 16:34 »
Have you checked that the memory modules, graphics card, PCI cards, and all the power connectors are connected fully and securely?  Other than that, I'm afraid that's the limit of my guesswork on this matter, so hopefully someone more technical will be able to help you this evening.

Offline Deino

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 01:43 »
Well, I have never mess around inside my computer since I last bought it about 2 years ago except for replacing my cd-rom with DVD-RW three months ago. Could it be the problem? But it was functioning well all this time... I'm really lost here ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 01:58 »
Have you tried running it in safe mode and just opening and closing folders and maybe dragging some stuff from folder to folder for the same length of time that it would take for it to shut down in normal windows ?
If its stable in safe mode then its more likely to be a program fault or a driver fault.
Also unplug any usb devices that you dont need in order to just run the minimum necessary for the pc to start up and run.
If its still closing down then its looking like a failed hardware component.
As you have two sticks of ram you could try running just on one and see if its ok and then on just the other one to possibly eliminate the ram which is the easiest and cheapest to replace if faulty  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum