Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC to Stereo  (Read 917 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

PC to Stereo
« on: January 12, 2005, 12:44 »
Is there a way i could link up my PC to my stereo, a cheap way would be nice. Thanks

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:PC to Stereo
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 13:13 »
It shouldn't be too hard to plug a lead into the headphone socket of your soundcard (or audio-out socket on your case) and stick the other end into your hi-fi.

The trick is then to find a lead with the right plugs on each end.  The PC end needs a stereo mini-jack, whilst the other end is determined by the sockets on the back of your amp, but which is likely to be twin phono plugs.

Please don't plug into the record deck socket as your amp won't like it at all.  The 'Aux' or 'Tape' sockets should be fine.

Hope this works helps!

Offline Scotty_CFC

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 14:44 »
Oh, I didnt think you could just plug straight into "line 1". Thanks, ill have to look for this lead before i try anything. Do you reckon i could bodge one together?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 14:58 »
If you can use a soldering iron then it should be easy enough or there are plenty of hi fi or electronics shops, even places like maplins, will have leads ready made to do what you need. Just identify which plugs your stereo input takes  :)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 15:00 »
I dunno.  That largely depends on your level of bodging skill.  You might also find it cheaper to buy a ready-made lead than get the bits seperately.

One more tip:  When connecting for the first time, turn the volume down to avoid blowing yourself and your equipment to smithereens.   ;)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 15:55 »
I tried something similar myself some time ago.  I just visited the local hi-fi shop, told them what I wanted to do, and they sold me the cables.  I think it cost less than £5.

I've tried recording from my turntable to the computer and found it only worked if I had:

a.  a pre-amp on the turntable; and,

b.  a power source from a different room.[/list]

Using the same circuit for both the turntable and the computer caused interference - running an extension lead from a different room overcame the problem.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 16:01 »
Was your turntable earthed Gill ?
Thats usually the cause of that type of interference  ???

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 17:51 »
Hi Sandra

Yes, both turntables I tried were earthed.

I'm trying to remember who suggested that I should use a separate power point - I think it was a forum I found whilst searching the internet for an answer to the problem.  Apparently, it's quite a common phenomenon.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I thought it might be useful info for somebody.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum