Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Power Down  (Read 912 times)

Offline Dik Dak Doo

Power Down
« on: January 14, 2005, 17:58 »
Having real problems with my pc at the mo..  It keeps turning itself off or should I say powering down, sometimes this happens after only a few minutes or sometimes after i've been turned on an hour.  The funny bit is, the only way to get it back on is to shake the computer quite a few times and then power back up.  Ive checked all connections and none are loose.  This is a real frustrating problem and would be very grateful for any help.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Power Down
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 18:18 »
You will have to wait for a techie to come online but I'm sure they will be able to help you.  Meanwhile, have you checked the fuse in the plug to see if it's making a good connection, and also try connecting it to a different mains socket.  It sounds to me as if something might be loose inside the machine but best to wait for a techie before you go delving inside.  We don't want you getting electocuted!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 18:42 »
For some reason you didn't click on the "Reply" button, so I've posted your response here:

Dik Dak Doo replies

I havnt checked anything other than the
cables that plud directly into the back of the pc.  I'll hang fire then
till a techie becomes available

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 19:10 »
:welcome: Dik Dak Doo

First i'd take the side off and re-seat all my cards (if you were confident doing that)

Then i'd check in the Bios to see what your CPU and motherboard temps are like as it sounds like it may be cutting out by being too hot.

Failing that a Techie should be along shortly  ;)

In the mean time can you tell us what operating system you are using and what the spec of your PC is as it may aid someone to sort your problem  :thumb:

Offline Dik Dak Doo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 19:15 »
Ive checked the temperature and everything seems fine. As for re-seating cards am not sure how thats done.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 19:45 »
Re-seating the cards, literally means removing and refitting them.  When you open your PC case, you will see them.  PCI cards are removed by undoing one retaining screw, and if you have an AGP graphics card, this sometimes had a small clip at the back, which slides to release.

It's not really advisable to shake a PC, but it does indicate that a loose component or card may be your problem.  Well, if it wasn't loose before, it probably is now!  ;D  While you're inside the machine, also check all the power connections to the drives, and make sure that the IDE cables are securely in place.  These are the ribbon cables that run from your motherboard to the drives.  I assume, when you said before that you have checked the connection, you meant the external ones.

Not knowing how much you know aboout tinkering inside a PC, I should also advise you to make sure the power is disconnected at the mains, and that to avoid static discharging from your body, and possibly damaging a component (although it's never happened to me), general advice is to earth yourself on a radiator, or something similar, before touching anything inside your PC.  Don't go poking about too much with screwdrivers either.  Just use them as necessary to undo retaining screws.  Also advisable not work on a nylon carpet (static again).   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dik Dak Doo

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 19:58 »
I'll have a look inside (with the power off :-\) and see if anything is loose.  I did mean i'd checxked the external connections.  Just for info the CPU temp 54deg and the sys temp was 37deg.  Anyway cheers and i'll let ya know how i get on.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum