Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: hi-8 media to dvd back-up, video card??  (Read 2060 times)

Offline booch

hi-8 media to dvd back-up, video card??
« on: January 28, 2005, 15:52 »
i am assembling a list of components to build a new pc, and came across some info re: video cards that would enable me to back up my many years worth of hi-8 video tape to dvd.
i plan to put a dvd/cd-rw, and a dvd+/-rw in the machine, but am kind of stuck on which video card.
I heard of some 'all in wonder' cards, that had hook ups for inputting video cables, via a converter, to be viewed or backed up to wherever(hard drive or removable storage).
does anyone have experience with these, or other methods of backing up that kind of media to dvd.
also, the type of connector on the motherboard to use, since i am buying all new anyway. i.e AGP 4X/8X/PRO, PCI EXPRESS x1 OR x16??
 thanks for any input.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:hi-8 media to dvd back-up, video card??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 18:24 »
I havent personally used any capture cards to do as you want but I was looking at something like this for a friend recently and thought that it would be an easy way of getting normal VHS tapes to the pc for converting to DVDs.
I cant see why it shouldnt also work withe your Hi 8 ones too  :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=125524&Trail=C%24cip%3D21799.Office%2C%2BPC%2Band%2Bphones%3EC%24cip%3D21819.PC%2Bperipherals%2Band%2Baccessories%3EC%24cip%3D21822.PC%2Bkeyboards%2C%2Bmice%2Band%2Bother%2Baccessories&categoryId=21822&clickfrom=name

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 19:10 »
Wow Sandra!  That must take the record for being the longest url EVER!   ;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 20:35 »
I've copied a lot of VHS tapes to DVD by simply connecting my VCR to the TV card in my computer and treating the VCR output as if it was another TV channel. The results have been good enough for me.  Perhaps you could do something similar with hi-8?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum