Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: disabling slave drive in bios  (Read 857 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
disabling slave drive in bios
« on: April 16, 2005, 23:55 »
Hi all, is it possible to do the above, in the past if i have removed the slave drive, when i boot up, the boot sequence chugs along for several minutes looking for the slave drive that isnt there any more, so is it possible to "tell" the bios that the disk is no longer there and not to bother looking for it  :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 00:03 »
If I recall correctly, there is a 'disable' option, for each drive, in the boot sequence list, Dave.  The only way to find out for sure, in the absence of a proper techie, is to go into your BIOS and have a look.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 00:13 »
Its late and i'm tired so look but dont touch will probably be my cunning plan tonight.  :roll:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 00:33 »
There should be an option to disable it Dave, it sometimes depends on the type of bios as to how much you can do with each section.
Ami is usually quite comprehensive but some of the phoenix ones are a bit limited  :(
When I do a clean install of a pc with two hard drives installed I like to disconnect the slave by unplugging the ide cable so that I can have more control over the drive letters if I am creating two partitions on the boot drive, and its a safeguard against wiping the data from the slave by mistake, as I did once after carefully moving everything from what I thought was the second partition to the slave only to find I had moved data from the slave to the second partition of the boot drive before carefully deleting the whole primary drive  :shock:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 14:34 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
 its a safeguard against wiping the data from the slave by mistake, as I did once after carefully moving everything from what I thought was the second partition to the slave only to find I had moved data from the slave to the second partition of the boot drive before carefully deleting the whole primary drive  :shock:

eek  :shock:  that sounds like something i'd do

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum