Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Etherent controllers?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline reanne

Etherent controllers?
« on: April 21, 2005, 20:46 »
Hi. I have Broadband NTL. Its done using a USB at the mo, but i want to switch it to ethernet. When using the NTL installer cd, i get a message saying my i need to install a network adapter. I went into device manager and under network adapters is USB CABLE MODEM 351000. Down from that is other devices and ethernet controller. Both have a yellow question mark under them. Any idea what this means?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Etherent controllers?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 20:52 »
Usually it means that the device drivers are missing, or need updating, but Sandra will hopefully offer you some expert help.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Etherent controllers?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:32 »
Simons correct Reanne, its missing or has the incorrect driver for one unidentified device and the ethernet controller.
Try uninstalling both of them from inside device manager and reboot your pc, it may find and install the correct one automatically.
If that doesnt work do you know if you have a seperate ethernet PCI card or is it an onboard one ?
One easy way to tell without opening the pc up is if its in one of the horizontal slots at the back of the case its a PCI card but if its bundled in with the USB and other connections at the top then its an onboard one.
If its an onboard one then the drivers should be on the motherboard installation cd that you should have got with the pc.
If you havent got one then if you can let us know the make and model of your pc we may be able to find the drivers for you  :)

Offline reanne

Etherent controllers?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 11:51 »
Hi Sandra. I uninstalled the ethernet controller and rebooted. It didnt find the drivers on the computer. I dont have a motherboard disk so i tired a dell dimension resource cd, drivers and utiltities but it didnt find the drivers on there either. I think its an onboard one, right by the USB's the one with the little network/lan pic by it. However, the PCI slot has two little jacks and looking at the ethernet controller properties it says LOCATION: PCI BUS 1 DEVICE 9 FUNCTION 0. If that means anything.

Dell Dimension 2400

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Etherent controllers?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 13:21 »
The PCI one is probably an inbuilt modem.
If you are on XP or 2000 then the corect driver is available here :

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&cat=5&os=WW1&dev=3597&devlib=5&fileid=R64645

Just download it and install it, it should workafter that.
Hope this sorts it  :)

Offline reanne

Etherent controllers?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 13:56 »
Thanks Sandra. It worked!  :laugh:  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Etherent controllers?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 14:02 »
Do you still have a yellow mark against the other device too or has that gone now ?

Offline reanne

Etherent controllers?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 14:23 »
Its gone. And under the network adapters is the USB cable modem and Broadcom 440 x 10/100.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Etherent controllers?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 14:48 »
Thats good then  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum