Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD > PC > TV  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
DVD > PC > TV
« on: January 24, 2003, 14:01 »
This might sound a simple question, so don't laugh, but if a Graphics Card has TV Out, does this enable DVDs played on a PC to be viewed on a normal television?  If not, how would one go about doing this?  A friend has asked, but as I don't have TV Out on my Graphics Card, I wasn't sure.

If she has a Graphics Card with no TV Out, can a separate TV Out card be purchased?  Presumably the sound would also have to be wired to the TV from the sound card?

:thanks:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:DVD > PC > TV
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 14:07 »
I have TV out on this machine Simon but haven't a clue how to set it up either. I watch DVD's using my son's playstation2 :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 14:11 »
A simple TV out grahics card can connect via co axial cable to the tv set Simon so it would play the DVDs ok but would only be in stereo I think and not full dolby although it would possibly be ok on a dolby pro logic system.
I think the more expensive cards have  the connections for dolby 5.1 and even now 6.1 where you would use the 3 phono set up as for the alternative to scart on stand alone dvd to tv players use.
They may even have some with the optical out as well  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 14:47 »
So, forgive the muppetry, but by co axial, you mean like a TV arial Sandra, in which case they would have to swap leads to watch a DVD, yes?  Do TV cards not have composite 'out' connections, similar to a camcorder?

The sound is not quite such an issue, as it will only be a standard stereo TV.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 15:25 »
simon, my old nvidia geforce2 has svideo out which can be connected to a tv with svideo input.
i've never tried it but i think in video card softwares video options you select display type ie monitor or tv.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 16:16 »
OK, thanks all.  I think I need to establish what sort of Graphics Card my friend has, before going any further.   ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2003, 16:21 »
The better the card the more options you will get Simon but even the most basic ones that have TV out can connect to the TV with normal a TV aerial co axial lead.It would need to be via a splitter or a switchover box would propbably be a better way.Obviously if you had one with svideo that would be better quality  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum