Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Simple HDD question.  (Read 953 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Simple HDD question.
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:29 »
Currently, i have 1 x 40gb drive. Now i want more space, would it be possible to just add another HDD in the floppys dives place? (ie Remove the floppy drive, and add another hdd)

I dont want to get a new HDD altogether because i dont have a windows CD to reinstall.

Windows XP
Celeron 1.8
512mb ram

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Simple HDD question.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 13:37 »
Yes you can fit one in place of the floppy but usually you will find that there is a space for an extra hard drive next to the one thats already fitted.
You can also get adaptors to fit a 3.5 inch drive in a 5.25 bay and replace a CD/DVD drive with a hard drive or a second floppy if desired.
The only limitation really is that unless you have a RAID mobo or an extra PCI Controller card you can only have a maximum of 4 IDE drives as you can only fit two drives, one as a master and one as a slave, to each of the primary and secondary IDE channels  :)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Simple HDD question.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 13:51 »
Nice one, thanks.

All i need is a cheap HDD off ebay :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Simple HDD question.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 20:32 »
Quote from: "Scotty_CFC"
Nice one, thanks.

All i need is a cheap HDD off ebay :)

Take care, Scotty, you never know what might be hidden on a used hard drive.  :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline PhilTheFish

Simple HDD question.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 20:58 »
Yeah....totally agree....don't buy one from anyone with a user ID such as GaryGlitteruk   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Simple HDD question.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 22:07 »
It doesn't bear thinking about, does it?  How awful would that be, if it came to having to prove that stuff found on a used hard drive, wasn't put there by you?  Personally, I would never risk buying a second hand drive.  They are not all that expensive to buy new, from the likes of Dabs and Ebuyer.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum