Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: "STATIC ELECTRICITY"  (Read 3314 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« on: May 19, 2005, 13:50 »
A friend of mine wanted to add one more DDR 256 mb memory stick to his PC. It was identical as the original. His PC stopped?And just stopped after that. (With a long beep during about 4 seconds repeated all time. No more even Bios opening page).

We tried everything, but nothing worked.

He took at last his PC to a technician who tried exactly same of what we tried. His conclusion was, to change the MOBO. 75 euro.    :(

We couldn?t understand the cause exact. But after discussing with Sandra, she mentioned the possibility of the effect of the ?Static Electricity?.

One guy in a French forum told the same thing too.

Two months ago, this same friend got his VHS cassette recorder broken too when he opened it. It was still new. We couldn?t understand the exact cause neither.

In fact, the ground of his apartment is made of wood (insulator), so, that theory might probably be correct.

We can?t of course be sure 100% of the cause, as I opened some days ago the case of another friend, and there was no problem. His ground is made of wood too.

But anyway, it is worthy to discharge the ?static electricity? before touching any PC inner component. It?s not hard to do. Some try to touch the inside of the metallic case + a wall (or non insulated ground) at the same time to make an ?Earth? conductor by their body (After switching off their PC and before removing the electric cable from it. Some others fix a metallic wire to the metallic case leading to the ground somewhere in their apartment.

So, I found that telling you these things might be important to avoid an eventual and not needed problem to your PC.     :)
object width="450" height="150">

Offline sam

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 16:35 »
Good advice. Definetly the thing to do when you are messing around with any sort of electrical device. If you have carpet you also have to watch out that you havent built up your own charge - thus the effect when you touch some one and get a shock. Oh and touching the power supply if you havent unplugged but switched off the power will also do the trick since it is grounded. Actually that might not be quite the case in some places - as that assumes that your power supply have an earth wire aswell. But Joudi you are right just touching the case and some non insulating material will normally do the trick. Damn static electricity! :-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 18:08 »
I have to say that at certain times I suffer quite badly from static electricity.  At the moment if I touch anything metallic I actually see and hear a spark jump onto my finger and it HURTS!!   :horror:   I think it's something  like 20,000 volts so it's little wonder that delicate little chips can easily get fried under those circumstances!

Offline sam

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 01:07 »
well voltage isnt the problem in general its the current. i have had a couple of 100,000 volts through me before but it was a minute current - was fun to have my hair on ends for the rest of the day though! :-)

oh and clive its probably your shoes.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 01:14 »
Clive likes it when it makes his hair stand on end as its only then that its visible without a magnifying glass  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 07:15 »
Quote from: "sam"
oh and clive its probably your shoes.

Yes, I'm sure it's shoes.  I used to get electric shocks all the time while shopping, by touching metal shelves, lift buttons, etc, and I always blamed it on the trolley building up static on the store carpet.  It wasn't until one day I went wearing different shoes, and it stopped, that I realised.  I get it getting out of cars as well.  It's bloody annoying!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:38 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Clive likes it when it makes his hair stand on end as its only then that its visible without a magnifying glass  :)
 :clever:
:splat:

Offline sam

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 10:35 »
magnifying glass - your hoping! Isnt he already on the electron microscope level?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 12:45 »
If Static is something that is "Still" how come when you touch static it makes you jump  :roll:

Since I have changed cars? the new one gives me one hell of a belt..even though I know its coming I still curse and jump when it happens  :blush:

Offline sam

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 13:41 »
the term static is a bit of a misnaming... if anyone is interested take a look at this Wiki article.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline zephra

Static...Off Topic
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 05:06 »
Static is a funny thing.At work I had motor failures for 1 year(everything was tied into earth ground) we investigated and eveything looked good.It turn out to be Static that was cooking our motors.I bought a static meter and was measuring 15-20kv.When you get a good static shock it is about 12kv.Relative Humity plays a big factor .RH over 35% is ideal.At work RH was At 10% and the 15-20kv was cooking our c-mos chip that could only handle 2kv.Ion bars will knock down the static charges.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 15:52 »
When I get a bad static shock I can actually hear the noise and see the spark.  Oh - did I mention the pain?   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
"STATIC ELECTRICITY"
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 17:42 »
I get that particularly in Marks and Spencers, when food shopping, and seem to develop temporary tourettes every time, as I can't help myself from swearing!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum