Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: again already - heeeeelllpppp  (Read 16799 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
again already - heeeeelllpppp
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2005, 18:09 »
thought I'd not written on this thread for a while - so while I am probably tempting fate I thought I'd just give you an up date.

My computer still works!  :laugh:

They sent me the motherboard CD and that all went on fine, I still have one driver aparently missing its that network controller one, which appears to be the wireless network one (belkin) which I downloaded but it says its not the right one, it is according to my records so thats odd. Seeing as I'm not using it, it doesn't really matter right now though, but I must sort it out.

oooh big lightning there, wonder if I should turn this off ? eeek
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2005, 18:25 »
It's always advisable to switch off and unplug your PC from the mains and telephone socket during lightning, due to possible power surges.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2005, 19:13 »
I did just as you advised while it was overhead, I think its gone now thank goodness - I was getting withdrawal symptoms,.

Note to self - Buy surge protectors.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2005, 20:43 »
Quote from: "Michelle"
Note to self - Buy surge protectors.

You haven't already?  :rumad:  Don't wait until it's too late!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2005, 20:42 »
helllooooooooooo long time since added to this thread which I should rename ......... dear diary lol

news update.

It lasted just under 2 weeks, when the problems started happening, various blue screens and messages, but it would start after a few goes.
Today was the final straw - in about 10 trying to start it up I had 10 different messages - from disc error, to blue screens. then it started up but didn't have my ati driver loaded, restarted again and it started up but with modem errors, I'd already been on the phone with MESH (PAH) telling them I wanted a refund, when all of a sudden it all started working.

Anyway to cut a long story short - customer service talked me into talking to tech support (for free) and they took down all the problems and said they would get someone to ring regarding the refund.

Next call I get is tech support saying they know what it is, its a hard drive fault ...... I have 2 options, [I can take the hard drive out and they will pick it up and repair it?!?!  or they will pick up machine and take it back to repair. With me paying carraige charge as it is out of the 10 days they allow for free carraige.

I said ...........I WANT A REFUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (plus other things)

So guess what, am waiting for a 3rd person to call me back.

I guess if they offer me free carraige and take it away to repair I may succumb.

:roll:  :shock:  :?  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2005, 21:05 »
Michelle, with all the aggro you've had with this, you deserve a FULL REFUND!!  Stick to your guns, girl.  They have sold you a product not fit for the purpose for which it was intended, and I'm sure you must be entitled, by law, to a refund.   The very least you should accept is a new hard drive, fitted and tested in your own home, fully at their expense.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2005, 22:22 »
I think that the correct phrase is :

"I reject this pc as its not of merchantisable quailty and I demand a full refund"

Do not let them attempt to repair it as I think you lose your rights to reject it after an unsuccessful or bodged repair.

If I was you then I would get the cash back, see the CAB or a solicitor if necessary Michelle and wait for Aldi or Lydl to get one of the Medion PCs in again.
They seem to get them every few months at one or the other store and seem to be very good value for money and up to the latest and fastest specifications, al that with a decent 3 year warranty thrown in for free too  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2005, 23:03 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
I think that the correct phrase is :

"I reject this pc as its not of merchantisable quailty and I demand a full refund"

I think it's actually 'merchantable', but yes, you're entitled to a full refund, Michelle.

Not sure what happens once they've tried to repair it.  I would have thought that your consumer rights would still stand, providing you haven't allowed a third party to attempt to repair it, if the vendor's attempt fails.

I would do as Sandra says.  If you don't get anywhere, demand to speak to the managing director, or the highest authority on the premises, and start talking about CAB, or better still, Trading Standards.  That usually gets their attention.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2005, 02:00 »
Have a look at this Michelle :

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c04.shtml#3

Reading that it looks like you should be able to claim a full refund as it went faulty almost straight away didnt it ?

I would definately try and get the cash back and not accept a replacement or a repair.

If they wont make a full refund then as Simon says contact the local trading standards office, a solicitor or the CAB.

Make a list detailing when you ordered it, the date it should have arrived, the date it actually arrived and the first time it went wrong.
Mention the lack of CDs that should have been included which delayed you being able to attempt to fix their faulty PC yourself and cost you a considerable amount of money trying to contact them by phone.
Also that you had to ring Sandras Help Line at X pounds per minute  :wink:
The subsequent need to reinstall XP, is it 3 times in total now ?
The present problem, which by their own admission appears to be a faulty component, ie the hard drive.

I think that even if you ended up in the small claims court that they would find in your favour after so many mishaps and failings on Mesh's part.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2005, 10:00 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

I think that even if you ended up in the small claims court that they would find in your favour after so many mishaps and failings on Mesh's part.

To be honest i think the small claims court would find they are trying to sort the problem in an acceptable way by offering to exchange the HD if they have identified that to be the problem.

This should be done at their expense and you should push for them to do it "on site" but then it may not be convenient for you to be there the day they say they will turn up So if they are willing to pay postage then that may be the best way to go.

I knew of a case where a guy had a separates music system and it was playing up so he bought a new one and pushed to get his money back on the faulty unit, Well the judge ruled that it was acceptable for them to replace the identified faulty "separate" unit and his refund was only on that part   :wtf:

Also remember it could take you 1-3 days off work to go the court way and you may end up with a solicitor bill  :horror:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2005, 13:06 »
Its been a faulty pc from the start Cammy and I ams ure that Michelle has lost confidence in it, I know that I would have done  :(

In the small claims court it only takes an hour at the most, usually far less and no solicitors are involved.
It costs a certain percentage of the amount you are claiming plus a fiver I think, which you get back if you win your claim.

Its not a complicated procedure and they help you fill the original claim form in if you are unsure about how to do it  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2005, 16:06 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Still waiting for the phone call, how ever there was a call from a "no number" this afternoon, but no message.

I don't think they can refuse a refund, they admitted that it is a faulty hard drive, which would have been faulty from the start. And luckily it wasn't very long before I informed them that I was having problems.  Thanks for that link sandra, on reading that, it seems they could offer me a replacement, but as you say I wouldn't really want anything from them now.

I'll keep you informed.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2005, 16:10 »
Best of luck Shell  :wave:

To be honest i think they being a big company will come good and i'd call them on that free number now and see what they are saying  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2005, 21:23 »
I think the THREAT of action in the small claims court might be enough, and unless they dispute the claim, most cases are actually dealt with on paper, without you needing to attend a hearing.  I really can't see that they have a leg to stand on in this case.  You have had problems with the PC right from the start.  What I would say is, get everything IN WRITING.  Phone conversations are no good when it comes to producing evidence, unless you happened to have recorded them, in which case, you have to have notified the caller that the conversation is being recorded.

One other thing - did you pay by credit card?  It might be worth a phone call to the credit card company, as some of them offer consumer protection for purchases over a certain amount.  I'm not sure this would cover faulty goods, but it might be worth a try, and would be an extra round of ammunition for you, if they would support you.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2005, 22:46 »
Threaten to write to ComputerActive magazine Shell.  They have a consumer lawyer who highlights cases such as yours and always gets results.  Mesh advertise in the magazine and you can say that's where you saw the advert in the first place.  All companies hate bad press.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum