Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: my pc's dying...  (Read 2584 times)

Offline jon996

my pc's dying...
« on: June 14, 2005, 19:18 »
hey all.. nice layout by the way, very nice 8)
anyway.. my pc has suddenly started dying..it boots up then the blue screen of death haunts me. i havent changed anything so im stumped  :help:  :brickwall:

>>jon
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
my pc's dying...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 23:06 »
Will it run in safe mode ?

Sometimes just starting in safe mode and shutting down sorts it.
If it still wont run normally after that then do a system restore while in safe mode  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
my pc's dying...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 22:43 »
What version of windows is it?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
my pc's dying...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:41 »
I think his PC must have died Bob!

Offline jon996

my pc's dying...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 12:39 »
rite...god!!!
it runs in safemode okay...and it is xp pro.

in the event viewer iv got a load of errors..such as
"Event System" "acpi" and "system error"...i suppose the last one is quite selfexplanitary

Any light sheding would be gd..

>>jon

P.s -- i always get the blue screen of death before i have to reboot?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
my pc's dying...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 13:17 »
If it runs in safe mode, then it seems something starting in 'normal' mode is causing the problems.  Suggest, while in safe mode, you do complate virus and spyware scans first, and see if that brings forth any clues.  As always, I recommend using Ad Aware and Spybot, as well as your usual virus scanner.

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
my pc's dying...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 13:18 »
Ok Jon, it sounds like a driver or program that causing problems.

When you are in safe mode, got to Sytem Properties/Advanced and in the Start up and Recovery click on Settings and untick the Automatic Restart in the system failure section.
Also go to Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and under startup untick anything thats not essential to start up, you only really want your AV and Firewall loading.

Then reboot into normal windows and see if it will run now and check that everything is showing ok in Device Manager and if there are any yellow ! or ? showing then update or replace the drivers for those items  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
my pc's dying...
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 15:49 »
Sounds to me like someone did something foolish. Why not use the system recovery and recover it to a previous date? Im pretty sure xp pro allows that in safemode.

Offline jon996

my pc's dying...
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 16:07 »
Bob..i havent changed anything thats the wierd thing..and i have done a system restore til a couple of days ago but no luck?

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
my pc's dying...
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 21:06 »
normally if i was at work i would use norton windoctor, but i doubt you have that one. If you haven't installed or dled anything intentionally and the problem only presents itself in normal mode then i would think it was a virus or something similar.

Download dll compare and run it in safemode. Make sure you have it scan the entire "C" directory and not just the system32 folder. If you find anything inside the systems32 folder its probably a bug, if you find it inside your temp folder its a guaranteed bug. If you want to be safe then post the log on here and we'll tell you if it needs to be deleted. You can use the second application Dr Delete to swatt your bugs.

Dll compare for NTFS

Dr Delete

Offline jon996

my pc's dying...
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 14:46 »
very queer...seems to be fine now???! anyway im goin to upgrade  :D  i was looking through ebuyer and i wanta amd athlon 64 but i dunno what spec and a top class mobo...any ideas?

Jon<<

i was thinkin this Mobo

and this cpu

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
my pc's dying...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 15:42 »
Looks ok Jon although I wouldnt rush into buying something with 64 bit just yet.
I would rather wait until its been more established and see what happens  :)

Offline jon996

my pc's dying...
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 15:58 »
how come Sandra? whats wrong with 64? or shud i steer towards a p4  :x

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
my pc's dying...
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 16:36 »
I havent had any experience of it Jon and dont know anyone using it yet.

To get the best performance out of it, as I understand it, then you would need a 64 bit OS such as the XP 64 bit one.
Plus suitable applications for a 64 bit OS, I dont think theres much software written for it yet.

Given that new technologies often take a few years to sort out the bugs along with the inherent ones in a new OS, then I would be very wary of using something like that, unless it was only being used as a test bed and you had an older reliable pc for a backup.

The latest AMD and Intel cpus using the well known 32 bit systems are as fast as anything that you would be likely to need for a few more years to come so I would personally go for something tried and tested rather than spend a lot of money on an unknown system :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
my pc's dying...
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 17:13 »
i have lots of mates using the amd 64 bit and apart from a few applications tat are command line driven they have had no problems. these 64bit systems are recommended by most gaming magazines, if you want top quality games that it. in fact i am about to buy one.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum