Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: i got a strange no sound problem  (Read 1120 times)

Offline peruvianpisco

i got a strange no sound problem
« on: June 24, 2005, 17:25 »
Hello, i got no sound..but if i move the balance in the volume control of the  sound icon it sounds a few seconds and dissapears...always plays the windows98 start sound , then a noise in the speakers  and go away at all, i tried with headphones, the same. i got jetway sound integrated mobo,  AC97 sound. this happened suddenly.
Thanks in advance
here are 10 types of people, people who thinks in binary and people who doesn`t

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 17:50 »
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the soundcard drivers and/or updating the mobo ones ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 17:51 »
Hopefully one of our proper techies will be along later, but until then, have you checked the Sound Settings to make sure the Sound Scheme hasn't been changed?  If nothing wrong there, check your device manager, and see if the sound card drivers are correctly installed (maybe they have been corrupted?).  If there is a yellow  :!:  or  :?:  icon, try reinstalling your sound drivers, assuming you have them on disc or file somewhere.  If integrated on your mobo, they may be on the mobo drivers CD.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline peruvianpisco

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 02:59 »
Ok, i will find anybody to do that, i got the mobo CD, but too newbie to touch anything  :shock:
Thanks.

Offline peruvianpisco

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:19 »
Hi, maybe i was impatient and after reading the manual and finding Magic Install i tried by myself because it seemed easy steps ( there is a menu and i ran Sound (i didn't uninstall anything before :( ) ,it  didnīt  tried to install, it displayed Maintenance Complete, Reset now (so it tried to do what i was looking for, i guess) but after reboot a message of Ikernel error appeared :blush:  tellin me no success at all.
The same message appears i see now every time i try to unistall this Avance Ac97 audio from the Panel.
Am i too dumb to try any like this without knowledge?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 09:00 »
Right, well this could be the blind leading the blind,  :blush2:  but in the absence of intervention from a proper techie, I'll have a go:-

Do you know how to find the Device Manager in Windows 98?  I think, from memory, you right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and you can select it from there.

Once found, locate the sound card from the list, then right click it, and one of the options should be to update the driver.  Select that, and follow the prompts to install from the CD, which should be inserted.

Hopefully, it will find the driver, and that will sort things as far as the error message goes.

Did you first establish that the Sound Scheme hadn't been changed?  Look in your Control Panel, under Sound.  It seems strange that you get the Windows startup sound, but nothing else.  Try selecting the default Sound Scheme and see what happens.  Do this before fiddling about any more with the drivers, although it sounds like you may have to reinstall them anyway now.  Don't worry, this shouldn't be a major issue, and any problems should be fairly easy to solve.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline peruvianpisco

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 23:35 »
Well, i asked my nephew to do that, he reinstalled not only the sound but previous steps, he is a systems' engineer (Pc engineer..i donīt know how it means in english :( ) and the result was the same..i must tell the Windows 98 start tone had previously gone, only remains the noises when i move controls on the PC, balance, volume,etc...it made play sound for a seconds, now it is gone too...just clicks now.....He said it must be hardware (electronic stuff) and he doesnīt know about it, what do you think?
Thanks in advance for your time and patience to understand my poor english :blush: .

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 23:41 »
Thats strange to get partial but not full sound ?
Its usually ok or none at all.
Have you got a spare PCI slot ?
If so it may be easier and quicker to just buy a cheap PCI sound card and install that, after disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Basic sound cards are very cheap these days, even good quality 5.1 ones arent very expensive  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 23:57 »
Also, it might just be worth checking the speaker connections, if you have them, and the connection to the sound card from the speakers, although this sounds an unlikely solution.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum