Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Poor connection  (Read 2435 times)

Offline jaxx

Poor connection
« on: July 05, 2005, 19:43 »
Hi, hope you guys can help!

I have BT Broadband and my connection keeps disconnecting. I have a BT voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem and the DSL light keeps going out every 3-5mins. Its driving me crazy!! I have spoken with BT who think the problem is either the modem or my internal telephone connections. My house is only 1 yrs old and most rooms have a telephone port in them. However BT say they think the wires are not correct for Broadband.

I have looked at one of the telephone ports and there are different wires with different colours... does anyone know the best way to wire the ports for  broadband ( hope that makes sense)

Any other ideas, suggestions would be great!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Poor connection
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 19:52 »
Hi Jaxx and :welcome:

Theres isnt a best way, its either right or wrong  :)

I would first of all check that the splitter is working ok by substituting it with another.
I assume that you have at least 2 provided ?
Have you got an extension lead that you could connect to a different socket, ideally the master on where the line comes in and use that on your modem in case theres an internal wiring fault ?

Problems like you describe are usually BT line faults but they are very reluctant to admit it or do anything about it unless you insist  :(

Is it a new pc/modem installation or have you been using this setup for a time and its only just started happening ?

Is the pc ok for everything else apart from connecting to the net ?

Offline jaxx

Poor connection
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 20:32 »
Hi Sandra,

Well the wiring is faulty i think.. i know someone who use to live up the road had similar problems.. BT came out and said the wiring was wrong and fixed  one of them but told them to fix the rest... however they have moved on and the house is currently empty, so cant ask them to look at the wiring..

I have an Ibook G4 (mac) and faily old PC which is slow and has many problems... the connection works best on my mac and is awful on my PC. I have changed the filters and even used the main BT point and connected directly into the BT point (i.e. removed the cover and used the test port).

I just wondered if anyone knew the correct wiring design for internal telephone ports for broadband. I think i might try and contact BT again see if they will come out and fix it... but dont think they will cos well there service is not great  :evil:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Poor connection
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 20:58 »
Not sure if this website may be of use to you jaxx...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp

and this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Poor connection
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 21:10 »
Good finds, Clive.  Might be worth posting in the Useful Sites section.  ;)

:welcome:  Jaxx - hope you get it sorted.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Poor connection
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 22:39 »
Quote from: "jaxx"
I have changed the filters and even used the main BT point and connected directly into the BT point (i.e. removed the cover and used the test port).

I just wondered if anyone knew the correct wiring design for internal telephone ports for broadband.

If its dropping connections when connected directly to the master socket with the cover removed then its definately sounds like its a BT fault, especially after what you said about your neighbour as well.
There is no diifference in the way the master or slave sockets are wired whether you have just a phone, a dial up connetion or ADSL.

I used to have something saying which colour went to which terminal, I will see if I can find it but it seems more like a fault with the line into the master socket than anything else  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Poor connection
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 22:47 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
I used to have something saying which colour went to which terminal, I will see if I can find it...

Isn't that what Clive posted above, Sandra?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Poor connection
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 22:48 »
I cant find my piece of paper but this possibly explains what you need  :)

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/wiring/socketwiring.htm

I still think that its the line into the master socket that would be faulty though if your neighbour had the same problem  :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Poor connection
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 22:52 »
Quote from: "Simon"

Isn't that what Clive posted above, Sandra?

I dont think so Simon  :)

Unless I am mistaken I think that Jaxx is wanting to know the colours of the wires to each terminal inside the sockets so that he can verify that the sockets in his house are wired correctly.

Clives link just shows how to connect externally via networks and where filters or splitters are used doesnt it  :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Poor connection
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 22:56 »
Well, it does show the colours of the wires in the plugs, which should match those of the sockets, but I suppose it might take a bit of working out, and a wiring diagram of the inside of the socket would be more useful, if that's what he needs.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Poor connection
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 22:59 »
Yes, I think Sandra has found the best link.   :laugh:

Offline jaxx

Poor connection
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 12:18 »
hi guys,

thanks for the quick replys! i did not think i would get so many so quick!! :D

Sandra kindly provided what i was looking for.. however it has not sorted the problem  :cry: . I rang BT who tested the line and stated they think its internal wiring problems.

I am currently using the BT socket, and so far no problems!! YAY! However it is in the kitchen and so i really want to use my broadband in my office.

I have therefore just ordered a wireless modem router which i will install using the kitchen connection that way having the best possible connection and then use the net up in my office.. or even in the garden... if we get good weather again!! :( .

Thanks for your replys! I am sure i will be back! Actually i need to ask a few questions about how to fix my pc problems... so be back later! Thanks guys!

:)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Poor connection
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 13:10 »
I am pleased that its sorted in some way  :)

Hopefully we can help out with any other problems that you may have or hang around and join in with the other parts of the forum  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum