Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Power supply  (Read 908 times)

Offline peruvianpisco

Power supply
« on: July 08, 2005, 17:16 »
I recently read Power supply take few attention at the time of buld a PC..but i think my mobos got problems with capacitors, which inflate like a globe and other faults.
Please, i wanna know about quality Power supplies if it was the case, i found a few sites, the people i know changes it every 2 years, i didn`t know that, till now that i got almost my 5 PC bad :cry:  ( i had a very-very small business based on cyber internet).
I got I-Chia power supply, 350 w max, is it the brand ?
Thank you in advance :)
here are 10 types of people, people who thinks in binary and people who doesn`t

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Power supply
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 17:44 »
I dont know much about power sullpies apart from the cheaper ones are often very noisy and the dearer ones tend to be quieter.

As long as you have a 350 watt or bigger PSU then I would have thought that you should be ok no matter which make.

The people who change them every 2 years do they say its because they get noisy after that or that they think the output varies after 2 years  :?

Offline sam

• Administrator
Power supply
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 18:24 »
if the output varied of such a short timescale then they would all be sent back to the manufactuers as faulty!! so it is people being illogically paranoid!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline peruvianpisco

Power supply
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 15:41 »
Ok, thanks, i think so, it varies maybe...it is a low investment so i am gonna change it every such time
here are 10 types of people, people who thinks in binary and people who doesn`t

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Power supply
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 15:56 »
Capacitors that "blow up" as you describe or pop the ends off are often cheap ones that arent really made to take the heat for as long as they should and manufacturers really should upgrade them.

The same thing happens with the capacitors in the power supplies of Sky satellite boxes, the capacitors arent really up to the job and tend to fail after a couple of years, usually a month or two out of their warranty  :(

Everything is built down to a price these days, so they save a few pence on each capacitor and we end up with unreliable components  :(

I still dont think that the quality of the power supply or changing one regularly would improve the life of the capacitors though.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Power supply
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 18:45 »
just change the power supply when it goes...and hope it doesnt take ur computer with it, which it shouldnt!
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum