Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Fake Tube safety e-mail spreads  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Fake Tube safety e-mail spreads
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:34 »
London Transport and mobile firms are warning people about an e-mail spreading rapidly containing inaccurate safety information.
The message claims that passengers on the London Tube system can contact emergency services via a satellite signal from their mobiles underground.

Mobiles do not work in the London Underground, and satellite signals cannot reach there either.

A Vodafone spokesperson said it had had numerous enquiries about the "hoax".

"This e-mail is incorrect. The 112 number does link people through to 999, but it only works if you have a signal on your mobile phone. If you have no signal bars on your phone, it will not work," a spokesperson from London Transport said.

"It will not divert to a satellite signal.

"Even with a satellite mobile phone (which very few people have), you would need to have a clear line-of-sight to the satellite. You would have to be outside, not in a building or a tube tunnel."

'Exercise caution'

A Vodafone spokesperson told the BBC News website that, at a time of heightened tension and security fears on the Underground system following the recent bomb attacks, it was clear people wanted to pass on useful information.

But, he added, people unthinkingly pass on e-mails without analysing the information contained in it.

WHAT THE E-MAIL SAYS
 Important Number you should note 25/Jul/05 09:24 If you travel to work on the tube please note the following information: If your mobile phone has no signal (so even if you were in a tunnel) if you dial 112 it diverts to a satellite signal and puts you through to the 999 call centre. ALL phone companies have signed up and as it is a satellite service it also gives them a trace to you if you don't know where you are.

"By forwarding false information they can panic people and also create vast amounts of work for people who have to deal with it and enquiries about it," he said.

Although the 112 number is indeed the European-wide standard number that will connect people to emergency services wherever they are in Europe, it is not accessible from mobiles underground in London.

A spokesperson from mobile operator Orange reiterated that if you do not have a signal on your mobile, wherever you are, you simply cannot make a call.

Orange and Vodafone both added that the line in the e-mail which says: "ALL phone companies have signed up" to some sort of satellite link up service was also inaccurate.

Vodafone said that often "hoax" e-mails contain accurate information, such as the 112 number's existence, to attempt to add credibility to the mail.

'Sick sense of humour'

It is unknown however, whether the e-mail has been devised as a hoax, intended to misguide people, or whether it is a result of misunderstood mobile technology.

"The e-mail originates either from ignorance or malicious intent, but the bottom line is that recipients should ignore its content and should resist the urge to pass on this information to others," Daniel Hepner, from web monitoring firm SurfControl, told the BBC News website.

"Either someone is attempting to cause confusion amongst commuters, or they have a very sick sense of humour.

"It's possible that it could stem from an individual that is unaware of the misinformation, but in the current climate all such e-mails will be treated with suspicion," he said.

Shortly after the bomb attacks in London, e-mail hoaxers tried to disrupt a campaign, In Case of Emergency (ICE), which aimed to get people to store next-of-kin details in their mobile phones.

The hoaxers claimed that the campaign was in fact a mobile phone virus. A further e-mail hoax circulated warning Underground travellers of further imminent attacks.

"The 'In Case of Emergency' virus hoax has heightened people's suspicions over this kind of traffic, and it is important that we all exercise caution before disseminating these messages further," said Mr Hepner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4724101.stm

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:56 »
If mobiles don't work on tubes, how come one theory is that bombs could be detonated by mobiles?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 14:45 »
Simon a mobil is like a radio phone they work by line of sight,thats why there has to be so many repeating towers they can forward around the country when you dont have a tower to get you past a certain are it creates a dead zone

as long as the phone is within line of sight it will work
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 15:20 »
Right.  I thought the idea, with triggering a bomb by mobile phone, was that the detonation was remotely controlled.  To be in the 'line of sight', you'd have to be fairly close to it, wouldn't you?  Or have I totally misunderstood?  :?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 16:00 »
if the underground tunnel is fairly straight it can travel for miles

an example would be when you stand in an open field line of sight would be seeing to the horizon its the same pricipleradio waves will travel in a straight line untill an obstruction blocks.

thats why out in the country you have a lot of dead zones for cell phones the trees and hills block the signal
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 16:19 »
Right, hang on a minute, I'm confused.  :nerd:  When person A calls person B's mobile, the signal doesn't go direct from mobile to mobile, in a straight line, does it?  It has to go via the transmitter system, correct?  If you can't get a signal on the London Underground (as they are saying), then surely, even if you're standing next to person B, you can't call them by mobile.  :|  Perhaps we have crossed lines, Davy?  :grin:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 17:48 »
I suppose it depends on the definition of "mobile phone."  I can't see how a cell phone could handle it but a radio phone such as security guards use certainly could.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 18:05 »
As you say Simon, for a mobile phone to trigger a device then both the sending and the receiving phones would have to be within range of one of its networks cells so even if you were stood next to it and you werent getting a signal then you couldnt send to the other phone.

I think that a longer radio wave would possibly work as that would penetrate farther than the shorter radio waves used by mobiles.

If we are going to be subjected to more bomb attacks then it doesnt seem right that they detonate them remotely by radio or by a timer.
At least if theyre a suicide bomber they dont do it again and they get killed along with the innocent victims  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 21:16 »
But it would be so much better if they lived, and just had their arms and legs blown off, Sandra.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 21:28 »
A cell phone is nothing but a weak radio transmitter

thats why they have a warning about using them at a petrol pump
a suicide bomber wouldnt have to transmit very far

the repeaters they use are for longer distances
we have a company here that supplys local calls only and in the area they only hve 2 repeaters
other than that the phones are on their own
Dave

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 00:10 »
you dont really need to have line of sight. what is said about is not entirely correct.

A good explaination of how a mobile phone works is here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone.htm - though this isnt directly relating to the UK.

Cell phones are actually not at all dangerous in petrol stations. I recall reading an article in something physics magazine (cant remember which one) and the frequency ranges and energies required are probably too low from a modern phone, but there are conditions that can apply to cause the problems. Thus the warnings but in a "normal" situation they are harmless - unlike people smoking. Do they have a death wish!

It would be possible for a bomber to send a signal, mostly on the undeground you cant get signal but there are pockets that you can get signal. Certain stations are also, they may have already, put in transmitters. Cause unlike what people think mobile phone masts DONT damage your health. They are unsightly, yes, but they dont harm you. The radiation drops off at a large rate, plus you hold one to your darn head.

I better stop, I can see me ranting on here..
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum