Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet settings help required please  (Read 935 times)

Offline ken

• New Registration
Internet settings help required please
« on: August 02, 2005, 21:12 »
hI,

I have a problem assessing secure pages on the net.

I use AOL 9 .

i can assess normal pages but when i click onto the secure pages i get a message stating

"  The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Not sure if it is firewall stopping access or what.

Any help /Ideas would be greatly appreciated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 ken

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 22:27 »
Hi, Ken.  :welcome:

It is doubtful that you will find anyone around here who use hey-oh hell, but I know that some people have had problems accessing secure pages using Internet Explorer in the past and have cured it by reducing their browser security settings from High to Medium in Internet Options.  I have never used AOL, so I wouldn't know where the setting might be hidden.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 22:46 »
Doesn't aol have its own browser installed - maybe a version of Netscape?  Can you confirm which browser you are using Ken?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 22:50 »
Hi Ken, and  :welcome:

I can only echo what Dave said about checking your security settings, and isn't there also some sort of parental filter on AOL?  That may well stop you from accessing secure sites, with a view to preventing kids from using Dad's credit card on the net.

If having parental filters isn't a necessity, my suggestion would be to try another browser, such as Firefox (link in my sig).  You may even be able to set up Firefox just for your own use, if you have different user accounts on your PC, which are password protected.

Hope that's of some help.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ken

• New Registration
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 15:03 »
Hi and thanks for the replies.

I have aol as browser and also ie 6. i use mainly aol browser which i believe has its own firewall? This may be conficting with mcafee'S.

I think i have got parental controls set to recieve anything.
Anyway i may try the fox browzer. Once again thanks

ken

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 16:13 »
Having two firewalls running is never a good idea, Ken, as they do tend to conflict.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum