Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: What I'd like to know is.........  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
What I'd like to know is.........
« on: September 05, 2005, 17:44 »
Where is safemode on this medion machine?  I don't think it has one!  There's nothing about it in the book.

I had a big problem last night, I put on norton and it all went belly up, It wasn't freezing, although I thought it was, it was just going VERY VERY slow, I'm talking 10mins or more to open a programme and then it would close it saying not responding or just disappear LOL - anyway I thought, oh no, norton has to go, I'll just uninstall it, but it wouldn't let me, so safemode was the only option I thought, but I turned it of and off about 20 times trying every button in the house and nothing!  

In the end I left it for a few hours and managed to get into control panel afer about half an hour and uninstalled it there, a further 15mins later - hey presto, its fine now, I think it was clashing with something I've got.

So the question remains, how do I find out if I have safemode.

F1 and F10 take me to bios I think, and F8 to boot sequence - hard drive or CD - F7 seems to crash it LOL
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 17:51 »
F8 should do it Michelle but the timing may be a bit critical as you have SATA drives in.
I think you have to catch it just before it boots to windows so it will be a bit of trial and error I am afraid  :(

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 17:58 »
I must have pressed it too soon then!  Bottom!   I'll test it out for next time, cos there will be a next time with me LOL

thanks sandra.

xxx

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 18:04 »
I have to say, even as an advocate of Norton products, they can be absolute buggers to install or uninstall.  If you are lucky enough to get through the installation without one of the dreaded error boxes popping up, then you have to run Live Update at least half a dozen times, if not more, to get all the updates, rebooting after each one.  I have found that the only trouble free installations of Norton I have experienced, have been on previously Norton free machines, or those which have been fully formatted.  Otherwise, updating to newer versions, or replacing one Norton component if you have others installed, can be a complete nightmare.  You would have thought that, as market leaders, they would have made things a bit easier.  Once up and running, however, you can't beat Norton, in my opinion.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 18:32 »
Well there's no better time for doing a complete re-install than straight after you've installed for the first time Michelle.  I would bite the bullet and accidentally forget to include Norton's in your new set-up.  Having said that, I use Norton's myself.   :laugh:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 20:52 »
I just had a look at the medion website

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Quote:-

I have installed Norton Anti-Virus and now I can't get past ...  

... the Logon screen or my desktop is very slow to load.

Cause: After installing Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) on any of our newer systems that already have E-Trust Anti-Virus software pre-installed, conflicts can occur between the two pieces of software that will cause the system either to boot to the desktop incredibly slowly OR it just won't boot past the logon (Welcome) screen at all.

Solution: Either; RETTEN the system and, once complete, uninstall E-Trust before installing NAV or boot into Safe Mode and uninstall E-Trust from the system.

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

So there's the answer, I didn't know that was there even ! LOL  Not sure what RETTEN the system means though! LOL

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 22:56 »
It probably means use System Restore to retore to a previous setting Michelle.
Did you manage to get into safe mode yet ?

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:57 »
I've got a medion machine as well and they are a bit awkward.  As Sandra says you need to F8 at exactly the right moment (just after the text flashes past) or you'll end up with the peculiar raid boot screen (even tho' the pc isnt raided.  if you do get this screen then click the boot from C: option then press F8 immediately and you should get into safe mode.  :D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:36 »
Oh right!   Well I must be hitting it at the wrong time as I still can't get in there!

:roll:  :blush:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 18:02 »
Try holding your finger on the F8 key immediately after you boot up, Michelle.  It might beep in protest, but you may just catch it.

P.S.  I thought it was only us guys who have trouble hitting 'the spot'!  ;) :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 18:18 »
:shock:  :laugh:

Thats for the suggestion but that was the first thing I tried  :cry:

I've not tried it again, since I last wrote mind you  :roll:  :laugh:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 18:57 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Try holding your finger on the F8 key immediately after you boot up, Michelle.  It might beep in protest, but you may just catch it.

If you do that you end up with the raid menu  :roll:  stupid machine......you need to press F8 immediately after the text info window.   :roll:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 18:27 »
I just tried it again, after the second text window, and it came up right away, cool, thanks guys.  :wink:

I've put mcafee on now probably not as good as norton, but everytime I try norton something goes wrong.  :laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum